My 3 finished pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

The slimline pen completes the pen/pencil set for my dad for father's day. Its red oak finished with 3 coats med CA and fancy black chrome kit. I could have been wider on the nib end, but he will like it I am sure.

The first cigar is Bethlehem Olive wood. I really enjoy working with this wood. It turns so nice. I think I am giving this pen to my pastor who has really been helping me these past months. I finished it with PSI lacquer dip with two coats. I used a chrome kit this time. The middle top could have been wider a bit I think.

The last cigar, I am the least happy with. Its from aromatic cedar. I put some groves in it using my parting tool. I again used the PSI lacquer dip about 3 coats as I can still smell the cedar which is fine with me. I used the black chrome kit on this one. Not sure what I don't like about it really but something just seems blah lol.

On the slimline and cedar cigar I did MM the wood all the way up. The olive wood was so smooth after using the 600 grit I didn't bother with MM at all.

Let me know what you all think. I know there are flaws on some areas. Good/bad, all comments are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lapdog

Todd----Personally, I really like the cedar cigar with the grooves. I might have to give something like that a try myself.

Linda

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You might try placing two groves close together at both end of the blanks next time. It may be that the way you did it here is to predictable, neither accenting the wood or shape but detracting from the over all effect. The groove(s) at the ends would give the pen a detailed accent but allow the wood to be the main focus. The best pens are made from trial and error, LOTs of error sometimes........:biggrin:
Mike

avbill

Your design of the lines in the cedar are static Mike's comment about changing and putting the lines closer together. Off center will create interest. It's the center line that destroys the interest in this pen. Your design is more psychological effecting the mind than anything. For an exercise review several of the top turners web sites and study their designs and how they used the space in the pen. Skiprat is a good sample of the element design of thirds. You want your design to be balanced but not static. Review the elements of composition of a drawing When write out those elements [draw] that you want to work with in your pen designs.

i hope this helps

ToddMR

Thank you that helps me out. For some reason I had two on either end. Then I thought it needed one in the middle for some reason.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I think the pens look good Todd. It's good to experiment with different design techniques. No one like every pen they have make, but someone else may love it!

Top Bottom