My 2nd Segmented Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigRob777

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

This is Makore, with blackwood and maple. It was hard to turn, because of the varying hardness of the materials, but it's my best so far, I think. It was made for my customer's husband, for fathers' day. It looks sweet in a black box. We looked at chrome, gold and copper and my wife agreed with me on the plating. It brings out some of the red in the wood. I forgot to use BLO, so the curl didn't show up as much as I would have liked, as this was a nice curly blank, but you live and learn. Comments welcome. Two views of one pen.
Thanks,
Rob

200761071646_DSCN0440.jpg

20076107175_DSCN0444.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Steve,
It was a bit of a challenge to turn, as the woods had different properties, but I took my time and it came out allright. I had a chip-out on one piece of the blackwood, but it wasn't deep enough to affect the pen, as it was turned off. I enjoyed the process and it sold for $60.00 (fifteen more than I asked the person for). It's my best pen so far and folks at church were amazed by it. I'm swimming in pen orders now. I've got to get busy.
Try it, you'll like it.
Rob

PS. The makore has some major chattoyance going on and folks loved that too.

BigRob777

Angie,
Thanks. You must have slipped your post in while I was typing mine and I missed it. Thank you for your kind words. I measured the blank, and tried to cut it evenly (not centered), so that each blank had the stripe the same distance from the lower end. I was still off by a bit, but it doesn't seem to show.
I may have milled it off. I have some major doors opening for my pens and I'm getting really psyched. I have a customer who wants 2 segmented and 2 plain, of different wood, that he provided. It helps that he's my pastor, from whom we bought the land for the new church building. He wants commemorative pens, to show people and to remember their (former) trees by. They had a beautiful slice of land and now the church does. They're awesome folks. I guess I should have posted this on my last SOYP post. It was the one made from the church wood.

They've also commissioned me to make them a bowl from the huge walnut tree I got from them, but they don't know that it's going to be a gift (once I learn how to turn a bowl, that is).

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom