My 2nd custom/kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rich gubbin

rich gubbin

Hi all,
Heres a few photos of my second attempt at a custom fountain pen, learn,t a few lessons from my first which made the whole process a little easier. I used the El Grande nib section on this, mabe next time i,ll make the section and fit a clip. The body is deliberately 15mm longer than my last one so it fits in the hand better being non postable, not quite sure this looks right in proportion to the cap. C&C welcome.

Attachments

• blue custom.jpg
    blue custom.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 280
  • blue custom2.jpg
    blue custom2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 248
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie69

That's phenomenal! Cap & body look lengths look great to me. Can I ask if you used triple or single start tap & die for the cap threads? My understanding is that the El Grande fp section uses triple start threads so triple start tap and die would be necessary for the nib but I'm wondering if single start threads could be used for the cap threads (or if it would look hokey with single start threads?).

rich gubbin

Hi Charlie,
The El Grande nib section uses a single start M10x1.0 thread to attach to the barrel. I used a 1/2inch 32tpi single start for the cap and barrel hence only 4 or 5 threads on the barrel.

OZturner

Beautiful Pen Rich,
Fantastic Profile, Proportions and Lines.
Outstanding Blank, with Superb Fit and Finish.
Look forward to seeing you add a Clip on Future Pens,
Excellent Craftsmanship.
Brian.

tgsean

Wow man, that is really good. Its so tempting to try kitless pens, so much of inspiration, but never done one, not sure where to start really!

Looks good. You can't see the threads on the inside of the blank and to me that is a good thing. I'd also agree that if the cap isn't posted a "normal" length pen feels a bit short. I would encourage you to try putting a clip on the next one because to me it's not a pen without a clip. However that is just my preference. If everyone made pens I liked there would only be one style of pen. :) Well done.

Top Bottom