My 2019 Pretty Resin entry - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Show Off Your Pens!
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Show Off Your Pens! Let's see your best work!

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Default My 2019 Pretty Resin entry

This was my entry into the new Pretty Resin contest. Unfortunately is was disqualified. I misinterpreted the rules wrong. Things happen as they say.

One of the reasons I did want to share this pen was because of the little experimenting I did when selecting a color to back paint the blank. It may help someone in the future. Also the little different touch with the turning of a replacement piece for the clear crystal.

The kit used was a full sized Majestic rollerball Rhodium and Gold. I matched it up with what I believe is some of the nicest material ever made called Mexican Agate. It's light and dark amber bands along with the white streaks running through it make it a stunning blank, I think. The material is somewhat translucent so I reversed painted it with a metallic med blue spray paint. after it was spun it was MM and polished to a high shine. To add a bit of elegance I replaced the clear crystal in the clip with a turned replacement of the same material. I then went on to make a matching letter opener to go with it.

I have included a quick photo of the experimenting I did selecting the color to back paint it. In the photo the blank to the left was back painted a white and to me that washed out all color in the blank. Then on the blank to the right, the lower section was painted with a combination of red and brown paint. More of a muddy brown color. I did not like that look either so on the top right part of the blank is the blue metallic I went with. I should have mentioned I did try red alone but forgot to include the photo and I did not like that look either. Washed out the darker highlights. Hope this may help someone in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
copy_of_imgp0374__1550432057_25640.jpg   copy_of_imgp0375__1550432089_60150.jpg   copy_of_imgp0390__1550432120_37573.jpg   copy_of_imgp0392__1550518192_19717.jpg   copy_of_imgp0295__1550561937_51592.jpg  

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Beautiful pen, “Quite Nice”.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Beautiful pen! Was it disqualified due to modification of the clip?

I had no idea that the color for backpainting could have such a big difference on the way the finished pen looks! Those different examples look like completely different blanks.
JessePens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePens View Post

I had no idea that the color for backpainting could have such a big difference on the way the finished pen looks! Those different examples look like completely different blanks.

No it had to do with the cost of the kit. Even though I paid $35 for the kit it clearly stated that the cost of the kit had to be $35 for a single retail priced kit. No big deal I accept the ruling.

Yes many translucent pen blanks can be totally affected by the color used for painting inside the blank. There are many examples of this posted throughout the forums. If you need more info on this, I believe Ed from Exotics has a short video explaining the differences and also show a good way to help in choosing.

My Photo Album
Old 02-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Makes sense.
Either way, you ended up with an amazing pen (would have bumped me out of 3rd place!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:

No it had to do with the cost of the kit. Even though I paid $35 for the kit it clearly stated that the cost of the kit had to be $35 for a single retail priced kit. No big deal I accept the ruling.

Yes many translucent pen blanks can be totally affected by the color used for painting inside the blank. There are many examples of this posted throughout the forums. If you need more info on this, I believe Ed from Exotics has a short video explaining the differences and also show a good way to help in choosing.
JessePens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Makes sense.
Either way, you ended up with an amazing pen (would have bumped me out of 3rd place!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttheclockman View Post
Quote:

I definetly think not

You should be proud of your work. I voted for it.

My Photo Album
Old 02-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default My 2019 Pretty Resin entry

Yes, it was disappointing to disqualify such an obviously nice pen, but it ended up far enough outside the guidelines that I could not justify making an exception.

I appreciate John’s good sportsmanship. His was not the only one disqualified.

In fact, one of my own was disqualified from another competition because I failed to follow the rules, too.

Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDucks2 View Post
Yes, it was disappointing to disqualify such an obviously nice pen, but it ended up far enough outside the guidelines that I could not justify making an exception.

I appreciate John’s good sportsmanship. His was not the only one disqualified.

In fact, one of my own was disqualified from another competition because I failed to follow the rules, too.

We talked and you explained and I understood. No hard feelings at all. I misinterpreted them.

As I said the main reason I posted this here was because it may help others see that there is a difference in the color you back paint some blanks. When you actually look at this blank you figure there is no way that it was that translucent but here is the proof.

My Photo Album
Old 02-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager
Emeritus

Photos: 132

Fantastic work John. That is a stunnig set!
mbroberg is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 150

I love Mexican Agate. I used to turn it all the time. You did a great job with it and it looks stunning. I think I always ended up painting mine black on the inside. It has been a few years though. Nice work!
brownsfn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads