My 1st "Real" Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GaryMadore

GaryMadore

Well, I finally got around to turning one of the Gentlemen's kits I bought from "mrburls"

I learned a lot while doing this one. Not really so much about pen turning, per se, but rather things like Lee Valley Turner's Polish has directions printed on the label for a reason. Oh, and now I know what ya'll are talking about when you mention drill blowout... that 37/64" bit makes a big hole and an even bigger mess when it exits....

It's the 10K gold "Gentlemen's" fountain kit from CSUSA, lovingly wrapped in Amboyna Burl cut from the chunk that LOML bought me for Christmas.

OK, well, the photography sux (point-and-shoot camera) but here goes.

Cap on:

1_1stgent01.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=9294

Cap off:

1_1stgent02.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=9295

And this one was LOML's idea: HONEST! She says that she took it for me, but I think it's to make sure that at least the guys say that they like my pen....

1_1stgent03.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=9296

Anyway, this is the 1st kit that cost more than about $7 that I put together. It is also the 1st kit I turned between centers - yes, I'm a convert (thanks to johnnycnc and his perfect bushings!) ... I am working my way up to the Imperials that I got from "RDH79"

Cheers!

Gary

P.S. Did I overdo the plugs for the vendors here? :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

HOLY SMOKES, what a great...pen! Trouble is, in the last shot, I can't quite see to the bottom of the pen. Please readjust the...background...and shoot again. Please.

Hey, you asked for it, buddy! If I ever GOT a shot like that, then posted it, my new bed would be my 52" Jet cabinet saw...and I'm 6'4"...and the surface is cold.

Oh, I forgot to say, your craftsmanship is superlative. HER craftsmanship is better.

Fondly,
Dale

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabaharr

I have started making pen stands out of corian for sale but I really think your holder looks better. Maybe a few of those at the shows would drum up some interest. I am going to have to try that out.

Stephen

artistwood

yea............what they said!!!..........????!!!!!! great wife for "supporting" your hobby with such enthusiam!!! oh yea..nice pen......bear

GaryMadore

Thanks everyone.

The pen ain't so pretty close-up (turner's polish nightmare) but it's a start.

Butch: I thought you'd appreciate the plugs.

Nancy: Be careful what you wish for!

Oh, LOML says "thanks" too. She took that photo as a ha-ha for me and is REALLY enjoying rubbing in the fact that one of my "show off your pens" posts typically garners 3 or 4 responses, but "we" are on page 2 of responses.... heh

Cheers!

Gary

Last edited:

tim self

Since no one else has said it but have certainly thought it.

First, Nice pen!

Second, it's great your love supports your work. This is a family site AND there are younger penturners on this site. I may sound like a prude but I view it as inappropriate.

Just my .02.

Top Bottom