my 1st herringbone 360

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

This had to be the biggest pain ever. Took me over 4 hours to make the blank, a couple hours of turning down and gluing holes. Then about 2 hours of turning and finishing.

Im guessing this has slightly over 1 gallon of epoxy in it, and maybe 1/2 gallon of CA? :eek::eek:

I glued this up with epoxy because there was so many holes... and also that the gaps were to big for medium ca. For what it is made out of? I dont even know? Ebony, acrylic freebies or i didnt like, bois de rose? pink ivory? lignum vitae? Maple?

The pen itself is turned to the bushings, but the ca but up and made it overturned. And it didnt even round over and make it look ok, like it did on my other pens... How unthoughtful! :frown:

Anyway there is no way i will be making another one of these pens any time soon. But i will know how to do it perfect next time:biggrin:

O, and this is on a sierra elegant click blk ti and gold ti, from beartoothwoods.
I dont really like the plastic part on the inside, it has a soft click, which is not my favorite. But overall i can live with it.

Attachments

• 100_6770.jpg
    100_6770.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 326
  • 100_6771.jpg
    100_6771.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_6772.jpg
    100_6772.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 281
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Sometimes its the journey that matters. I would recomend you make another one, right away. it reinforces the skills and lessons learned and you get to do a better job and take comfort in that.

leehljp

Member Liaison
This had to be the biggest pain ever. Took me over 4 hours to make the blank, a couple hours of turning down and gluing holes. Then about 2 hours of turning and finishing.

I make a pen that takes several hours of work per blank and I won't sell it. I have made several and get requests from close friends for more. I can't get the money invested in the "Time". So, I used to make one every couple of months for a good friend as a gift, and plan on starting those again soon. When labor intensive blanks are perfected, and they are a works of art, $50 - $100 an hour for labor (or more) puts some pens in the $200 - $300 range for the time alone on the blank. Some markets won't stand for this, such as my small home town, yet I get requests for it.

The up-side is - your experience from this pen will cut the time in nearly half on the next one you try, and your precision fitting will go up!

Im guessing this has slightly over 1 gallon of epoxy in it, and maybe 1/2 gallon of CA?

I know the feeling! :biggrin: :eek:

Brooks803

I think for what you ended up with you did a great job James. I've been wanting to try one for a while, but it's gonna a while longer before I do. You should give it another go bc your right there and it's still fresh in your mind.

Nice choice of colors. Looks better than my first attempt, it never was seen outside of my shop. Definitely try a second one, as mentioned with the lessons learned with the first, the second will go better.

Looks like it came out OK. They are a pain in the butt to make and everything has to fit perfect or you get noticeable glue lines or gaps and unevenness. I have made a few and that was enough for me. They end up looking nice but have to many flaws. At least for me.

broitblat

James,

You ended up with a great pen. The result (and the education) make it worthwhile (it's not like you have anything *better* to do, do you?).

-Barry

Top Bottom