My 1st, 2nd and 3rd pens, just the beginning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

Hi People,

I feel a little embarrassed posting my pens amongst all of you.

The 1st pen was made for the BASH this year and surprisingly:redface: didn't make the first cut. The blank is Norfolk Island Pine.

The 2nd pen is made from stabilised Tortulosa Willow. Beautiful wood, shame about the shape. I did do that on purpose but it ended up a bit thicker than I thought it would.

The 3rd pen I made today for the Armed Forces Day 5/18/2013, and will send it to Gary. This one is made from "Japanese Pepper Tree", one of the timbers in the Classic Nib Wood ID Contest.

My box full of PROPER pen kits and blanks from Classic Nib arrived today.

C & C Welcome.

Bob:biggrin:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 229
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 189
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Wowzers, That NIP looks great. I looked at the pics fiirst and thought it was some waste from your Broomstick Bowl. Great first pens. There is no wrong shape. I went through so many phases of turning pens different shapes. No shape will please everyone. Some like B2B some like a slight bump and some like a fatty. Good thing is your not making pens for them. Nice work.

robutacion

G'day Bob,

You have nothing to be embarrassed about mate, I've seen lot worse from people with a lot more time in the pen turning area...!

Your white box may need a little more light and you have to play with your Macro settings to get the sweet spot, wand when you do, you can then give that clarity and sharpness that we all work towards but, not easy to obtain...!

Pen turning/dressing is no different than the wood turning that you so much more used to, the big stuff however, the principals are the same, it needs practice, lots of it to get comfortable with it.

A good thing I know you have is, never afraid to try new things, shapes, finishes, materials, kits, etc., etc....!

When it comes to "pen making" which in my books, is a totally issue than "pen dressing", then the bets are all off for the most creative and well executed pen, from the inside and out, this has became something that many pen turners have switched to as "kitless pens", great work has been shown here, with some very smart and very artistic characteristics, that I haven't tried yet and I would consider, much better to do, after acquiring some good skills with the most traditional pen dressing/use of a kit...!

That, you are doing quite well, I like the 3 pens you've made but that knotted Norfolk Pine pen, is beautiful in my books, regardless of what result/position if may have got on the Bash.

Lets see what kits you endup getting recently and how you are going to dress them...!

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Jjartwood

Slimline pens are a bread and butter pen in some of my smaller shows,it seems that
more often than not that's what pays for the gas, Those are some nice pens and I still
say that it's harder to turn an attractive slim than anything else,mostly because of the
small profile and if it ain't straight it really shows.
nice work.
Mark

JamesB

Nice Bob. Much better than my first pens. The first slimline I turned straight and felt it was too small. I tapered the next one and my fingers slide down the pen. I haven't found the sweet spot yet.

walshjp17

One of my favorite timbers is NIP. I have a 16" x 8" round ready to be "bowl-ed over" as soon as I get the shop cleaned up so I can reach it :biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom