My $216,000.00 Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StephenM

StephenM

Besides home restoration stuff, I also design swimming pools and fountains for 5 or 6 different companies. I spent a lot of time on this particular design and wanted to be sure I got paid on it so I went along to help sell the pool. The guy that owns the company is a great builder but an awful salesman so I more or less stepped in and said "It looks like you like the design, we've met all your parameters and we're in your budget. When do you want us to start?"

He just smiled and said that with 3 different pool companies we were the only one to ask for the sale. I handed him my pen and said just initial the proposal and Tim will get the contract to you. He looked at the pen and said "If I sign this now can I have the pen?" I told him it's been bouncing around the truck, is all scratched up and besides, there are nicer kits but if you sign, I'll throw in a really nice pen. He said he wanted one just like that so here it is - a PSI Graduate Magnetic kit (chrome) in Koa for 216,000.00*

(*including swimming pool, landscaping, gazebo, etc.)

Attachments

• KoaTom.jpg
    KoaTom.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 609
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Nice sale!

I've been undecided on the Graduate, but this one looks nice with the plating complimenting the dark color of the body.

OOPS

And some people are afraid to ask $100 for their pens!

Actually, that is a great story. It really made my day. It is so true what you said about sales ability--most people don't ask for the sale, or don't know how to ask for the sale. Salesmanship is an art and a skill, and those that do, get more for their pens. $216,000 in this case!

Great story, thanks a lot for posting this.

RMayoIII

Thats got to be some sort of record selling price for a magnetic graduate! Nice job on the sale and the pen.

jttheclockman

Great story and congrads all around for getting the job and selling the pen.

I like the look of that pen. Is it similar to the Zen??? Is it durable and what are the platings available. I think I may have to try that kit. I read somewhere here that the Zen had a problem with the magnets falling out, does this kit have the same issues???

Y'know, I just started making the magnetic Graduate. I like it. I think it has "classy" lines and is destined to be a good seller. But I'm not sure I'd ask $216,00 :eek:. Seems a wee bit on the high side.

Congrats.

Boz

Too many people are too afraid to ask for the order. The fear of rejection is so great that they would rather walk out without ever taking a swing at the plate. On the other side I have always believed that it is not a good deal unless you have walked away from it twice. The salesperson who is willing to keep coming back will prevail. That said nice pen and great story.

allisnut

I may be banished for saying this, but I much prefer the magnetic cap pens, especially the magnetic graduate, over any of the screw top pens, whether it is the majestic jr, jr gent, or any of the others.

StephenM

Great story and congrads all around for getting the job and selling the pen.

I like the look of that pen. Is it similar to the Zen??? Is it durable and what are the platings available. I think I may have to try that kit. I read somewhere here that the Zen had a problem with the magnets falling out, does this kit have the same issues???

It's available in chrome and gunmetal. I've been using one as my everyday pen for a few months and it falls down on the floor, rolls around inside the truck, been dropped in gravel, etc. The chrome has held up quite well and since i use a shellac finish, I can make it look brand new in about 5 minutes.

No problems with magnets falling out, pieces coming apart or anything else. I really like it and it really shows off a nice piece of wood.

Top Bottom