My $2 Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jjartwood

Jjartwood

I'm not sure if I've seen this before or not, but here it is.
I have been looking at the engraving on different things and thought it would look kind of different on a pen however I have heard that it takes a while to learn how to engrave,(more then 2 weeks!!) anyway one thing led to another and I thought that I would just use some gov't engravings off a $2 dollar bill,I used the reverse artwork for the lower tube and cast in PR.
The pen was turned and massaged in the usual manner.
ON A SIDE NOTE, it felt really weird throwing the scrap pieces in the trash,I felt like I was throwing money away.
Mark
C&C welcome

Attachments

• IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey!!! Can't you go to jail for defacing Gov't property?? :)
I haven't seen a money pen here for a while, and they were all shredded.
Cool!! :)

turncrazy43

Mark, great job on that blank and pen. Thanks for showing it to us.

Magicbob

FYI, you can deface, modify, destroy, cut, carve, or anything else you want to US money. With the caveat that it is not done to defraud.
It's your money, do what you want.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I was actually just joking Bob.:biggrin: But I thought I remember the same topic come up here ages ago and someone said you could deface coins but not notes? Could have been in one of Seamus's scrolled coin threads:confused:

Still a cool pen:biggrin:

FYI, you can deface, modify, destroy, cut, carve, or anything else you want to US money. With the caveat that it is not done to defraud.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
A awesome looking pen, I love the blank and your use of the $2.00 bill, you did a great job of casting. That being said I must say "You have the right to remain silent....:biggrin:

Joe S.

They don't like you using Canadian money, you aren't allowed to deface the image of the queen.

I was actually just joking Bob.:biggrin: But I thought I remember the same topic come up here ages ago and someone said you could deface coins but not notes? Could have been in one of Seamus's scrolled coin threads:confused:

Still a cool pen:biggrin:

plantman

Very interesting pen Mark !! But, what else can one expect from you. Your pen brings up a very interesting point !! Smitty just posted a thread about where pen turning was headed for with all the new and fancy pen designs that PSI is comming out with making it easy for the newer pen turners to produce a striking pen with little thought input to designing it. You did not say what the pen kit was or who made it. It realy doesn't matter !!! It's the thought and effort that "YOU" put into the design and placement on the blank that draws the eye, not the fittings. Some people have a gift of being able to look at an object and see what it could be, as opposed to what it was made to be. The "eye" as they call it. You have it and continue to amaze us with your talent. Jim S

Jjartwood

Very interesting pen Mark !! But, what else can one expect from you. Your pen brings up a very interesting point !! Smitty just posted a thread about where pen turning was headed for with all the new and fancy pen designs that PSI is comming out with making it easy for the newer pen turners to produce a striking pen with little thought input to designing it. You did not say what the pen kit was.

I used a Jr Gent II for the kit, the Gents and Zens are always my go to kits when I'm trying different things out

MIKL

I used a Jr Gent II for the kit, the Gents and Zens are always my go to kits when I'm trying different things out

Great looking Pen Mark, if we tried that here in Australia we would be had up for defacing currency

we trying new things i usually head for the Zen/Magnetic cap pens, they have about the most meat on them that i found, you get a bit more play room

MIK

OZturner

Fantastic Pen Mark,
I appreciate you comment about feeling that you were throwing away money disposing of the remnants of the $2.00 Note.
Excluding your time and material in casting, it is still a very economic Blank.
Looks Great.
Brian.

BSea

Those pictures have to been seen at heir full size to really appreciate the work you put into that pen. I almost missed how you cut out the bill. That's fantastic work, and a great idea.

Top Bottom