My $1.79 cigar or "Slimgar".....a.k.a. modified slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NittanyLion

NittanyLion

Full slimline kit less the center band, some adjustment in tube length. I'm having a tough time polishing up the aluminum to be scratch free....but it was all turned on a wood lathe with wood chisels. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 327
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Gentle pressure and fine grits. I stopped using aluminum because with the technology and tools I had it was hard to keep it from scratching. Tp polish I use scratch remover then a polishing compound. You may need to use it like you aren't the one paying for it.

Penultimate

Nice work.
I polish 6061Al for my custom tablet stylus' and have been happy with the results. I wet sand thru all the MM grits. Then mount a jig with three buffing wheels on my lathe. Charge one wheel with Tripoli (red) one with Jewelers rouge (white) and the last with auto polish. I keep polishing till I get a mirror finish. I think the Tripoli is 600grit which may negate wet sanding to 12000MM but right now it works for me. Next time I may stop at 600 grit and start buffing to see if I get the same final results.

i use it for acrylics and ceboplast too.

Dustygoose

Steve, I like the mod to this pen. I think the finial and centerband treatment helps it flow from the small finial to the size you finished with. That said, The piece near the nib gives me mixed thoughts. Maybe a shorter piece,length of the one at the finial, may give it a different look. Over all I like it.

Top Bottom