My "Best Ever" fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RussFairfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
With this pen, I have finally reached a goal that I have had for several years - to make a functional fountain pen with a classic appearance, that shows as much wood as possible, and looks nothing like a kit pen. It started life as an El Grande kit. The result is a large pen that weighs 28-grams with a full reservoir of ink. The cap threads are smooth, and the kit nib is an excellent writer.

Its only problem might be that the cap will not post. However, it has good balance and writes well without the cap.

The wood is Blood, and the finish is shellac over CA glue.

2007235854_DSC01195E.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That is a beautiful pen, Russ, but I have to disagree with you on one point. From watching your work closely over the past 2-1/2 years and watching you continue to produce better and better pens, this one is your "best ever" SO FAR. I've learned to hide and wait, much like a child does on Christmas Eve, for the NEXT "best ever" to come along. Just when I think I'm starting to make my way up, you raise the bar. Thanks for doing that!

dfurlano

Very nice pen Russ. Can I ask one question. What motived you to add the brass and blank band. IMHO I think they clash, as a center band and would have gone with just the black.

Dan.

alamocdc

Russ, I love it! Absolutely beautimus!

IMHO I think they clash, as a center band and would have gone with just the black.

Dan, I respectfully disagree with this statement. Had Russ left the CB just black, he'd still have the gold clip, which would have then clashed w/the black CB. By leaving a bit of gold at the CB w/the black, it allows the clip to do it's job and not look grossly out of place. JMO[;)]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Thanks, Billy.
I tried them all. The kit band was too wide. Plain black looked out of place and made the large clip look even larger. Trimming the kit centerband down was just enough to balance the clip.

The cap threads are inside of the black plastic, and I have yet to figure out how to eliminate it.

I will make all three styles because there will always be a difference in opinion of what looks best.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Truly a classic and an inspiration to the rest of us. Wonderful lines and proportions. Personally I prefer non posting caps. Although I have only been using fountain pens for about 6 months now, I have yet to lose a cap and have always found a place to put it when writing. Thanks for sharing.

its_virgil

Beautiful, elegant, and classy. Can you tell I like it? The El Grande may just be my favorite fountain pen. I especially like the size, shape, and feel of the nib gripper or whatever it is called...where we hold to use the pen. The tiny tiny grips on most of the other fountain pens we make are not comfortable for those of us with large hands,and it reminds me of the fountain pens I used when I was in school. I use an elGeande as my daily writer. I think recessed clips just moved to the top of my "to learn" list. Let's see, how many time have I said that? What's next?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

ashaw

Russ
That is great work. I like the styling of the pen. You said the threads are smooth. Did you use the couplers from El-grande or did you cut your own threads?

BigRob777

Russ,
Amazing execution. I love the heavy presence of the bloodwood. It doesn't hide behind metal parts and I like the clip, as it's functional and mimicks the shape of most of the pen. Quite nice.
Rob

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Russ, it has all been said already. That is an amazing piece of work. Count me in with Billy in liking the gold and black in the center band area, and for the same reasons.

That is a pen I would truly like to see in person!

wicook

Excellent work, Russ. Another fabulous execution of a timeless design. I, too, favour the size of the El Grande. It fits my XXL hands just fine...even without a posting cap.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Thanks, Bill for coming up with and sharing the J-clip idea. I was still hung up on tabs until I looked one day at an ElGrande kit and saw the light. After that, it was easy.

There were a couple questions about, why shellac over the CA finish. My answer us that I am using the shellac (Fristion Polish) the same as most folks would use a wax. It is a protective coating against handling until the pen reaches its final user. The difference is that it doesn't need to be renewed after every show. It makes a very graceful transition to the CA finish as it wears away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom