"The Mutt"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

I noticed I have slowly build up quite a stack of left over pieces from cutting blanks. So I thought I would take a few pieces of Amboyna burl and some Malachite Tru-stone and glue them together. Placed on a Jr. Statesman Rollerball. I think the pen looks a little weird for a variety of reasons; the grain of the Malachite and True stone run differently for starters. Anyway, I call it "The Mutt." :rolleyes:Turning is a little tricky due to the different density and hardness of Tru-Stone next to the softer burl wood. Sanded from 150 to 2400 grit, then CA (medium) X 8 coats, MM (wet) to 12000 grit, HUT and Ren Wax. Hope everyone is having a good Sunday, and thank you so much for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• The Mutt.jpg
    The Mutt.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 328
  • The Mutt_1.jpg
    The Mutt_1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 195
  • The Mutt 2.jpg
    The Mutt 2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

We did that stacking up leftover chunks of Colorply. It makes some really cool effects. It's something I plan on expanding on once I get my own turning station set up.
attachment.php

Drstrangefart

I have to concede, The Mutt is a much finer example of the form, but I've only turned around 13 pens or so. With time I'd like to get results like that. I did find out that older people, particularly ones dealing with arthritis benefit greatly from pens like the big grip. I'm gonna look into serving that market at some point.

chuckw3

I have only tried something like this once and need to ask. Can you feel where the different pieces join? I still have a slight "crack" that can be felt with the thumb nail. How would I get rid of this?

Drstrangefart

I have only tried something like this once and need to ask. Can you feel where the different pieces join? I still have a slight "crack" that can be felt with the thumb nail. How would I get rid of this?

We found that you can intentionally make a blob of medium CA by hesitating in one spot and letting it overapply. Then shave the exess off, sand lighty to even it out, and continue building up layers of CA. Someone else may have a more elegant solution.....

chuckw3

[/quote]

We found that you can intentionally make a blob of medium CA by hesitating in one spot and letting it overapply. Then shave the exess off, sand lighty to even it out, and continue building up layers of CA. Someone else may have a more elegant solution.....[/QUOTE]

Thanks , Ill give that a try can use all the help I can get. Should have mentioned the first time those are both good looking pens but lean to the "mutt"I think

wizard

John, Thank you for the compliment. I haven't made any pens combining Tru-Stone and Burlwood before and it just looked a little different after I finished. It's nice to know someone else saw it and thought it looked good.
Regards,
Doc

wizard

I would use a CA finish, as many as 8 coats of the medium to make sure that the outer surface of the pen is completely covered with acrylic. After polishing, no irregularities would be present that could be felt with a thumbnail.
If it helps, I used this technique. Glued the sides of the blank remnants together so the junction between the stone and wood are entirely flush. A skew is used carefully at the junctions as the two materials have different turning properties (hardness etc). Sand lightly at the junctions for the same reason up to 1200 grit. At this point you cannot feel the junction by running your fingernail or finger across it. After 8 coats of CA finish, a fairly even layer of acrylic has formed above the junctions. I then polished with MM from 1200 to 12000 (wet) followed by HUT plastic polish. At that point you have a smooth glass like surface. Doc

chuckw3

I would use a CA finish, as many as 8 coats of the medium to make sure that the outer surface of the pen is completely covered with acrylic. After polishing, no irregularities would be present that could be felt with a thumbnail.
If it helps, I used this technique. Glued the sides of the blank remnants together so the junction between the stone and wood are entirely flush. A skew is used carefully at the junctions as the two materials have different turning properties (hardness etc). Sand lightly at the junctions for the same reason up to 1200 grit. At this point you cannot feel the junction by running your fingernail or finger across it. After 8 coats of CA finish, a fairly even layer of acrylic has formed above the junctions. I then polished with MM from 1200 to 12000 (wet) followed by HUT plastic polish. At that point you have a smooth glass like surface. Doc

Thanks for the technique, thats what I enjoy about this site, the willingness of those that know who to help those who don't
Thanks again
chuck

ldb2000

Great pen Doc . I wouldn't have thought that the Malachite and the Amboyna would go together but your pen proves that they do , very well too . Wonderful photos too .

Top Bottom