"MultiKnot" Elegant Wall Street II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from akbar24601

akbar24601

Black Ti and Gold Elegant Wall Street II with Purpleheart, Aluminum and Brass. This is a Christmas gift for my Mom, I'll get to give it to her in person because we are flying out to see her the day after Christmas.

Thanks for lookin'. I'll take any and all comments. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• MultiKnot.jpg
    MultiKnot.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 439
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

Thank you Butch and all. I've got a bandsaw and an Incra miter gauge and plenty of scraps and clamps for stop/positioning blocks.

marcruby

I'm impressed as usual. What amazes me is that you get everything to stay together while you drill. So my question is what setup you use to drill it out. Most of my drills would go dull in a New York minute going through all that metal.

Marc

akbar24601

What amazes me is that you get everything to stay together while you drill. So my question is what setup you use to drill it out. Most of my drills would go dull in a New York minute going through all that metal.

Marc
Thanx Marc. On these blanks with the metal I just use regular HSS twist drill bits. You can't use a brad point bit on these. What you don't see is the first blank that blew up on the lathe when I was trying to drill it. I can get it back together if I can find the rest of the pieces!!! So, having gone through that, this is actually the first blank that I drilled a pilot hole through. The whole deal seemed to work out alright, it's a little off center, but I'm not going to straight out blame that on the pilot bit. Also, I had the blank wrapped in clear packing tape and I drilled molasses slow, pausing every now and again to let the blank cool down.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Perfect match between kit and blank colours!!!. :biggrin: Looks great.
Don't forget to take it when you visit your mum!!!:wink:

Roy_Quast

Steve...... that is a GREAT looking pen, you deserve all the praise you have gotten and more. I too have made blanks with brass, aluminum, and copper in them. What I would like to know is how big is the blank when you start cutting it up to inlay the metal and what glue or epoxy do you use?
Roy

akbar24601

What I would like to know is how big is the blank when you start cutting it up to inlay the metal and what glue or epoxy do you use?
Roy
Thank you very much Roy. I just use a typical 3/4 x 3/4 blank usually. Presently I do all of my glue ups with CA. That seems to suit my patience level the best, I don't necessarily know that it is the best choice. Now, Keith(VisExp) uses 5 minute epoxy which he gets at WalMart and says that it dries clear. I know of other turners that use Gorilla Glue or an equivalent and others use standard wood glue. Again, I can't tell you which is or isn't the best for the job. If anyone else has input, please chime in. :)

Top Bottom