Multi Axis experimentation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I continue to play around with multi axis turning from time to time. This is my 2nd multi axis pen. I think it is a better effort than my first but still needs something. The facets on this one are more defined and uniform. Turned on 4 axes (yes that is the plural of axis)- center, and three offset with 120 degree twists.

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

Cool experiment. I think the area around the center band is throwing me off a little. This might be a good spot for some contrasting material, and trying to blend the two materials at the mating surface to avoid the appearance of score marks.

Props for pushing the boundaries. :beer:

Last edited:

Charlie_W

GO CODY, GO!!!
Very good go at it!

I agree with Brian about the transition from lobed to round...just blend next time.
Also, I think a dark wood for the barrels would contrast nicely off the centerband

Something to ponder.....after the pen barrels are done, slip them onto a closed end mandrel and concave the ends. This will allow the 3 corners to stand proud and enhance the effect.

Cwalker935

Cool experiment. I think the area around the center band is throwing me off a little. This might be a good spot for some contrasting material, and trying to blend the two materials at the mating surface to avoid the appearance of score marks.

Props for pushing the boundaries. :beer:

The only way to eliminate the marks is to taper the center further toward the ends. You lose some of the twist and the facets are not as well defined when you do that. Not sure about the best trade off. I might try four 90 degree twists and sliming down the ends. I think that would improve the transition to the center but am not sure what you would lose with regard to the look of the twists and he facets.

Cwalker935

GO CODY, GO!!!
Very good go at it!

I agree with Brian about the transition from lobed to round...just blend next time.
Also, I think a dark wood for the barrels would contrast nicely off the centerband

Something to ponder.....after the pen barrels are done, slip them onto a closed end mandrel and concave the ends. This will allow the 3 corners to stand proud and enhance the effect.

I squared off the ends with the thought of it being a free standing desk pen. I suppose it could be free standing with concave ends.

Charlie_W

GO CODY, GO!!!
Very good go at it!

I squared off the ends with the thought of it being a free standing desk pen. I suppose it could be free standing with concave ends.

Good thought on making it a free standing pen!

Dale Lynch

Cody,nice work so far on the multi axis pen.I don't know if you have your heart set on keeping the CB showing or not.The more peaks it has it will transition smoother.Three ridges makes for a very dramatic transition.Four points will be less noticeable,5 is better but you risk loosing definition on the ridges the length of the pen if you are not very carefull with your sanding.Turn it as close to the sizeof the CB as you can without going under and then smooth it in by hand.

I suggest eliminating the CB.You would then be able to shape it with one uninterupted curve.You just have to chuck up the CB and turn the proud portion off so that it will fit entirely inside the tube when you press it in.

Cwalker935

Cody,nice work so far on the multi axis pen.I don't know if you have your heart set on keeping the CB showing or not.The more peaks it has it will transition smoother.Three ridges makes for a very dramatic transition.Four points will be less noticeable,5 is better but you risk loosing definition on the ridges the length of the pen if you are not very carefull with your sanding.Turn it as close to the sizeof the CB as you can without going under and then smooth it in by hand.

I suggest eliminating the CB.You would then be able to shape it with one uninterupted curve.You just have to chuck up the CB and turn the proud portion off so that it will fit entirely inside the tube when you press it in.

Funny that you would suggest this, we must be on the same page. My plan for my next attempt is pretty close to what you described. I do have a couple of variations in mind.

Top Bottom