Mulga

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

Mulga is an Aboriginal term for shields used to provide defence when fighting with spears and boomerangs. They were commonly made from this extremely hard wood.
The tree was useful as a food source, the seeds can be roasted or ground to make a simple bread called damper mixed with water and cooked in the coals of a fire.
This timber is useful to make digging sticks, tools, weapons such as boomerangs or woomeras.

This pen is made from two diagonal cuts across a very old dry limb to capture the fine birds eye in the sapwood and the wonderful contrasting centre wood.

The bushy tree grows tough in very tough inland country inland in Australia.

When I was a kid some 60 years ago every household had ornaments , ash trays, bowls or vases and these were exported to many countries.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0009.jpg
    DSCF0009.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Nice looking pen Peter . It's great knowing about the history of the type of wood you used , we here in the states don't know very much about the lesser known types of wood from Australia .

shull

Peter,
I recently was in Canberra visiting my brother and had the opportunity to see some fantastic turning using Mulga. I like your pens and the finish is great.
OT have you ever tasted damper? As a kid in Sydney I used to eat that while camping. Tasted like cardboard :)

Jim Smith

Very nice looking pen. I like the wood. IF you throw the pen away, will it come back to you? Sorry, I just had to ask:wink:

Top Bottom