MrWright blank is nice!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

527934_390693744324030_1677788329_n.jpg

532417_390693794324025_2073829954_n.jpg

Here's the thing I need to say that may sound negative, but it isn't: PLEASE upgrade to longer casting tubes! The difference in hardness between the two barrels was significant. The bottom barrel was MUCH harder than the top barrel. That being said, I think you have a good thing going here. Colors are good, and light really plays nicely in the surface. I used chrome tubes to try to maximize the economy of the light that was getting into the resin. Bad call. Between the absurdly tight fit on the chrome tubes the hardware ALWAYS has and the brittle nature of the bottom barrel, I got the dreaded *crack* noise during installation of the transmission. Had I used brass tubes, it would have had a negative impact on the color of the pen, but no crack. I hate those chrome tubes, BTW. Hope you like the end result in spite of the damage, I really like the blank, and it was NICE to get back to turning PR after fighting with the fiberglass resin for like 3 days.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Boy, you got right to it in getting the blank done. Can't wait to see what the dark one does. Thanks for the comments as well. I would like to get a better mold for those blanks and get them longer. Don't see why they are harder in one than the next one as they are poured at the same time, with the same mix in the 3oz cup. Maybe one blank has more of one color than the other tube. I most often only pour a two color mix, and make it makes 5 1/2 blanks. The one reason I use the ice tray os they are exactly 3/4 round and fit in my chuck better than the PVC pipe. I do appreciate your comments, and you did a good job on the pen.

Drstrangefart

Boy, you got right to it in getting the blank done. Can't wait to see what the dark one does. Thanks for the comments as well. I would like to get a better mold for those blanks and get them longer. Don't see why they are harder in one than the next one as they are poured at the same time, with the same mix in the 3oz cup. Maybe one blank has more of one color than the other tube. I most often only pour a two color mix, and make it makes 5 1/2 blanks. The one reason I use the ice tray os they are exactly 3/4 round and fit in my chuck better than the PVC pipe. I do appreciate your comments, and you did a good job on the pen.

Thanks! There are a LOT of tiny variables that can make a difference in the nature of a blank. Time between MKEP and pouring, amount of pigment, humidity, stirring technique, it goes on. It doesn't take much to make a difference. Either way, great looking blank and I enjoued working with it.

Top Bottom