Mrs. Charlie W's First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mrs. Charlie_W

Here is my first pen! My daughter drilled the blanks, put the tubes in it, and gave it to me for Christmas along with a note that she was going to teach me how to turn. Oh my goodness. With her patience and help and yes, even holding the gouge with me, I made my first pen. I use this pen at school most every day.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
In the words of Arte Johnson, and with my worst German accent -- "Veddy Interesting!"

You did a great job making the two barrels identical & the finish is great too. Hard to believe it's your first pen.

tgsean

Really well done, surely a different shape but well executed, both sides look the same, that's not easy to do. Its your first pen, you should be very proud

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Really nice looking pen, it's very impressive that you were able to get both barrels to be the same. Great fit and finish.

toddlajoie

I agree, very interesting, and very well done, I also know several people who would find that to be a joy to write with, and cannot, for various reasons, use a "slim"line...

Marko50

I like it Robin! It has character, not to mention that both sides match…not an easy feat!

robutacion

I agree, very interesting, and very well done, I also know several people who would find that to be a joy to write with, and cannot, for various reasons, use a "slim"line...

I agreed, absolutely...!

There are many different ways to tackle the very first pen, some go for skinny, others go for chubby and other go for fatty, some prefer the shape to the fit and finishing and other do what they now best and that can the the finish, something that most people have experienced with repairs, restoration work or simply making wooden stuff in the shed, all has to be finished and some people are pretty good wood staining and varnishing...!

It is also true that, the shape may not be what we typically see on a handmade pen but, there is a very specific group of people with severe arthritis hand deformations that, can only handwrite with a pen of identical shape and proportions. I have in fact, made a fair few of these specialized pens, many times catered/moulded to the persons specific hand shape so, there is a market and a need for someone to offer some of this type shape in a pen, making no excuse for the maker not to try any of the more "common" pen shapes and finishes.

I think that is a terrific good start, congrats...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom