Mr Sandman, chunky style

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Since Mr Sandman (real + Jimmy Clewe's synthetic sand cast in PR) pens have been a crowd pleaser; see:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/mr-sandman-142728/
I cast some Clewe's synthetic sand into rods, chunks, cubes, and wafers, seasoned to taste with mica powder, added the synthsand to the interstices, then cast in creamy PR flavored with amber resin dye. Pleased to say that the synthsand mingles, works, plays, turns, and shares well with the other ingredients - next stop may be the SF Museum of Modern Art - but do not wish to rile up the traditional modernists with something new:
attachment.php

Best regards to all - Bob

(PS: I have no financial attachment with Jimmy Clewes, but am having so much fun with the synthetic sand that I look forward to a dip in the possibly forthcoming synthetic ocean)

Attachments

• SandyHilitesPen,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    SandyHilitesPen,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Hey Bob, you always come up with some interesting blanks. But I'm curious as to your kit selection. Do you ever turn any other style pens?

Bob in SF

Thanks Jim and JP!

Jim - Yes, I do make other pen styles - notably (commissioned) Virage fountain pens thanks to TonyL's kit suggestion. But most of my "following" is small-handed women who want unique lightweight stylus pens. Some now want matching bangles, pendants, etc. so I don't argue.

True story about the pair of "newborn" Mr Sandman chunky styles pictured above:
I sent out the picture to "my list" this AM, and a female software engineer quickly emailed back a request for a quartet pens on her desk (South of Market St. tech startup) tomorrow at 8AM - I didn't argue - quickly turned a couple more - here's the quartet, and she will have her wish:
attachment.php

If I had started the experimental pens with fancier kits, I probably would have wasted time and materials - not to mention placing an order for kits.

All of the techniques which I've shared on this site translate easily to higher end kits, but slimlines are my laboratory.

Nonethess, I do marvel at the extraordinary creations shown on this great forum; and might extend things a bit. Just doing what works well right now.

Warm regards, Bob

Attachments

• MrSandmanChunkyStykeQuartet,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    MrSandmanChunkyStykeQuartet,markison,2016,800px.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 190

OZturner

Another Outstanding Success, Bob.
Those Blanks sure do "POP".
Regarding the Slimline, and your venturing beyond, Have you considered, making your Slimline without a Center Band, and hence eliminate the Waist Line Effect?
Great work, Bob.
Regards,
Brian.

Top Bottom