MPG Prize Blank From George's Bits of Timber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim15

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

This is a Resifill Australian Red Gum Burl Blank from George's Bits Of Timber (Robutacion). I was lucky enough to win a gift certificate from George to purchase some of his beautiful Australian wood. Thank you George. It is on a chrome Baron rollerball.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Thanks for looking.

G'day mate,

Wow, what a winner you've got there.

You know, those blanks have been a very slow sell because people don't realise you pretty they turn out when finish, particularly with that mirror finish, that not only suits the blanks but also keeps it all together very nicely.

The #9 Colonial (old) Red Gum burl, as it ages, cracks the burl eyes like body veins, openings can run in all directions and very deep, making very difficult to get full-size pen blanks without any flaws cracks, only a very small percentage of these old burls are still solid in some of its areas that you can't tell where until you slice the burl open, some of which breaks apart if you cut it in smaller sizes.

Apart from these ageing cracks, the wood darkens considerably and the burl eyes become almost black, in the ageing process, the burl also start spalting and little can be used from that spalting wood that by then become like powder so, unusable.

These burl "natural" cracks give an ideal opportunity to get some casting done, the wider and longer the cracks, the better they will look when filled with resin, such as the example in the pic.

There is one other Aussie (Jarrah) that the burl with age does exactly what the Red Gum burl does, it separates its cells in the funnels of the burl eyes, creating a very simial visual effect.

I have literally hundreds of these exceptional casting blanks that have been waiting to be used, I considered in offering them for sale as they are so that other casters could make their own but, I never went ahead with the idea so, they are all kept in boxes, until I can cast them or, think of something else I could do with them, something like a large segmented bowl and then cast to fill the cracks and gaps (hummm..! I just gave myself and idea:)).

I'm pleased that you used that blank and made such a beautiful pen, congrats...!:wink::biggrin:

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I just started working on a Jarrah Burl blank. I hope to be able to drill it and fill the gaps with torquoise.

Your pen came out great!

robutacion

I just started working on a Jarrah Burl blank. I hope to be able to drill it and fill the gaps with torquoise.

Your pen came out great!

Hi James,

There are some similarities between the old Red Gum burl and most Jarrah burls, the colour is one and the stress cracks at the burl's eye as it dries.

Jarrah is a bit denser/harder but apart from that, you shouldn't have much trouble in filling the cracks with Turquoise, I always suggest having at least 2 types of crushed stone, one super fine and the other as medium, if not enough fine stuff in the tighter cracks, the bigger stone particles aren't able to enter the gaps.

One other trick often used is to get some Pearlex powder resembling Turquoise, add a bit of it with the crushed stone, this will help to cover any of those tiny gaps and still look "Turquoisy":wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom