Mountain Oak Burl Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from godfreytoddanderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a piece of wood from Clint on eBay. It is a sterling Baron fountain pen made from mountain oak burl with a CA finish. It was very punky, riddled with worm holes and had a loose knot that kept threatening to fly out. Even using the slurry technique it took many coats of CA to smooth out the texture in the oak. Its pretty much a CA pen at this point.

Todd

215_Mountain%20Oak%20Burl%20Baron%20Fountain%20Pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

What can I say that hasnt already been said?

One suggestion, a lighter background. It's a beautiful wood but we cant see the bottom half as well as if we would with a lighter background.

Thanks guys! These blanks were actually the first ones that I ever bought a little over six months ago when I first learned about pen making. I showed the blanks to my friend that taught me how to make pens and he made some comments that I now understand. Something like . . . multiple bottles . . . CA . . . blow out . . . Clint . . . those are your first ones? . . . save them . . . and so on. Of course I tried one of them for my first pen on my own and lets just say, it didn't work out.

I almost had a big disaster just as I was about done with the pen. I put so much CA on this thing that I pulled a piece of wood off of the cap, all the way to the tube, when I took the bushings off. It was only about one millimeter by three millimeters but would have ruined the pen. I VERY carefully used my pen mill and shorted the cap tube and blank down just past the chip. It was a big relief to solve such a big disaster so easily and I don't think anyone would ever notice the minor shortening.

This pen is a 10 year anniversary present for my brother-in-law from my sister. After I finished it and sent it to her she took it to their local trophy engraver and had their anniversary date and both of their intitials (you can only see his in the picture) put on it. It cost $30 to have this done.

She says that it is very shallow engraving and that it is silver all the way through (it doesn't look silver in the picture). This was a sterling kit and I was afraid that it was something else (brass?) below the sterling and that it would show through but it didn't.

Todd

200652518486_Baron%20Engraved.jpg
<br />

RogerGarrett

Great looking pen, and a a "nasty" wood (just using my kids' lingo here)[:D] I enjoy it when someone takes a tough one and really makes it work out even better than hoped for. Good job!

Best,
Roger Garrett

airrat

very nice job Todd. Pen looks great.

When removing the bushings from the blanks, I use an exacto knife to cut the edges. I have had very few problems doing it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom