Mother of Pearl Oxford

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Hi All,

A pen made with the Mother of Pearl Tru stone from William Wood-Write.

IMG_9372.jpg

My customer likes the all silver look, the nib is a fine point from Brian at Edison Pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micharms

Great looking pen Jim. I agree with your customer I think the white looks best with that colour of kit. I picked up one of these blanks from WWW also. I was going to use it for a wedding pen for my son and his fiancee but decided to go with the gold matrix/white gemstone blank. Did you paint the inside of the blank white? If so, what kind of paint?

Michael

Sorry for all the typos in the original. That's what I get for trying to type quickly on the iPad!

Last edited:
Great looking pen Jim. I agree withnyour customer I think the white looks best with that colour of kit. I picked up one of these blanks from WWW also. I was going to use it for a wedding pen for my son and his fiancee but decided tomgomwith thengold matrix/white gemstone blank. Did you paint the inside of the blank white? If so, what kind of paint?

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I did paint the inside of the blank with craft acrylic paint from Michael's. I buy the 99 cent bottles on the craft isle, the colours matched to the blanks I buy. They take epoxy well and are dry within about 30 min after painting.

wizard

Jim, That is a beautiful pen and photo! I find it hard to bring out the pearlescent or iridescence qualities of the shades of white in a picture but you did an outstanding job. The all silver look with the nib to match adds a clean look and purity to the pen if that makes sense. Thank you for sharing. Regards, Doc

Jim, That is a beautiful pen and photo! I find it hard to bring out the pearlescent or iridescence qualities of the shades of white in a picture but you did an outstanding job. The all silver look with the nib to match adds a clean look and purity to the pen if that makes sense. Thank you for sharing. Regards, Doc

Thanks Doc,

As most can see my pens don't have a lot of "shine" in their images, even though in hand they do. I use a light tent, two lights that I set at angles to bring out what I can see in the blank and I actually hand hold all my pictures with a simple point and shoot Canon Powershot 330.

le_skieur

Jim, you did a beatiful job on this pen. I like silver look instead of gold, matching with this blank it is WOW!!!

Jim
That is a beautiful pen. I have two questions. How did you finish it and what settings did you use on your camera?
Thanks

Thank you,

I drilled out the blank step drilling, then painted the inside of the blank with white acrylic paint (bought at Michael's), before using epoxy to glue in the tubes.

I set my camera (a Canon Powershot 330) on manual, select macro, turn off the flash, white balance for fluorescent lighting and actually hand hold the shot.

Very nice pen! I'm sure it is most stunning when you hold it in hand. MOP is almost impossible to render properly in a picture.

I found that as well, I moved the lights and pen around till I got what I got, still not even close to what it is in hand, but nonetheless playing with the lights a bit brought up some better results. I know it could always be better and the next one is on the bench and I will try some other ideas, including a direct reflector to the surface.

Top Bottom