Mother’s Day Wall Street Watermelon (& reverse painting suggestions)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Proud2Turn

Proud2Turn

Wife asked if I would make a pen for her mom, for mother's day… of course I said yes. She selected an acrylic blank from Woodcraft called watermelon, and I put it on a Wall Street II Chrome/Satin kit. Pictures aren't that great; still need to build that light box.

Tried reverse painting with pink, but it turned out too pink for the wife's tastes (picture shows reverse painted body – left, with a non painted body – right). Those of you that have far more experience that I with reverse painting; what would you suggest to get a deeper and richer look to the blank with limited changes to the colors? The final pen shown is not reverse painted.

Comments and critiques are always welcome. Thanks for taking a look.

Attachments

• MothersDay_WSII_Watermelon01.jpg
    MothersDay_WSII_Watermelon01.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 165
  • MothersDay_WSII_Watermelon02.jpg
    MothersDay_WSII_Watermelon02.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 206
  • MothersDay_WSII_Watermelon03.jpg
    MothersDay_WSII_Watermelon03.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 176
  • MothersDay_WSII_Watermelon04.jpg
    MothersDay_WSII_Watermelon04.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 192
  • ReversePink_NonReverse.jpg
    ReversePink_NonReverse.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Anything from silver to white would help, and I agree that is a lot of pink for the painted blank. You could always let the person receiving it choose?

Nicely turned though....well done!

Scott

Proud2Turn

Appreciate the feedback

Have a couple more watermelon pen requests, and will see how white does as the reverse paint. Will post some pictures for comparison.

Proud2Turn

Watermelon in reverse white

Thanks for the suggestions on reverse painting. Here is an example and comparison of watermelon acrylic with reverse painting in white, against no reverse painting. The stylus pen is not painted, the other (satin/chrome) is. Did notice that the painted blank ended up with a pinker side, a whiter side, and a greener side (hide under the clip). Think that is more due to the blank. Next one I think I'll try the silver suggestion; darker shade may do better for this blank.

Comments and suggestions are always more than welcome, and often encouraged. Thanks.

Attachments

• Watermelon_compare01.jpg
    Watermelon_compare01.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Watermelon_compare02.jpg
    Watermelon_compare02.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Watermelon_compare03.jpg
    Watermelon_compare03.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 113

Proud2Turn

Yes, the satin with the reverse painting gave the blank more defined colors. Have learned that light colored acrylics (know this is going to be a "well duh" for a lot of ya'll - but I'm just share'n my school'n) are very sensative to reverse painting. Of course bold colors have bold effects, but shades of colors also have a big effects. The reverse painting on the satin pen was an off white. Think a bright white would have washed out the colors and a darker shade of white would have given it more depth.

Top Bottom