Most prized pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkirkb94

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

This was my first pen.:D Turned it at the first class at Woodcraft when they opened 1+ year ago. It is walnut. I keep it in a beautiful rosewood case. What was/is your first/most prized pen? Kirk[8D]

20041230431_my%20first%20pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

Here is my favorite pen-
2004123053021_DSC05652p.jpg
<br />
It's my favorite because it was my first pen I turned right after I got my lathe about 18 months ago. It is a cheap 24K kit from CSUSA, made with wlanut. I carry it and use it everyday. The plating has mostly worn off, I've probably replaced the cartridge 6-8 times, the wood is too turned too small, but it still works faithfully. About once a month when I think of it I put some wax on it and buff, and it still looks new.[8D]

Tom McMillan

Wow, my first pens go back ten years or more---and most of them have been kicking around for quite awhile. The pen I prize the most right now, is the first spiral pen I made which was made of just plain ol' maple---but, I do love maple and it is nice to turn. I showed this pen at the Yahoo penturners site and Rich K was kind enough to feature it for awhile. That inspired me to do my 2 layer spirals--so, this was my inspiration to do something a little better---and this is the pen I normally carry with me now.

20041230700_spiralpen.jpg
<br />

pen-turners

This was a pen I presented to my Dad last year at Christmas that made him cry [:0]

It was made from his nightstick that he carried on duty when he was a Police Officer in Wisconsin. He recently retired after 30 years. I wrote up a thank-you note for keeping us safe as children and a bunch of other stuff and he cried when he read the note. He has this pen proudly displayed on his mantle along with a full size Gentleman's fountain also of the same material.... I also made one for myself, my brother and my mom to split the material between the family... I think I won the prize for sappiest gift last year!!!! [:D]

20041230102137_IMG_1724.jpg

tipusnr

My first pen is gone as the wife left it in Kauai during our vacation. If anyone finds a cocobolo slimline with a 10K gold clip near Kapaa send it back to me - will ya?!

Chris, I think that was a wonderful idea, nothing sappy about it. It obviously meant a great deal to your Dad. I'll have to take a pic of my first pen, my first anniversary of penturning is coming up in a couple months!

KKingery

First pens are always the most sentimental......I keep mine hanging up on the pegboard right in front of my lathe. I use it as a reminder of everything I did wrong!! (barrels too fat, transmission stuck in too far, etc...)You gotta love those first ones!

woodwish

Sappy gifts are always good gifts. That is a neat story. I got a few tears this year when I made some pens from trees I cut up for people after Hurricane Ivan. I gave a set to my sis-in-law and husband from a beautiful Magnolia that blew on their house. This was a very emotional Christmas for them and many others in NW Florida, they still have plastic tarps covering holes in the roof and the whole end of the house. Hard to get excited about Christmas when the wind wistles through the house all the time, and it is getting cold (even for Florida). Just not enough contractors to get the work done. I also made some for several other people in similar situations around them. Visiting them and giving them those pens really made me appreciate what I have to be thankful for, and only 100 miles away.

G

I haven't made it yet.(prized)
For first it's an American Classic olive wood that my wife has and will not let me fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom