The most gaudy Emperor Ever?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLAHOMAN

I've been experimenting with different finishes and castings for the last few months useing metals and foils. This is an order for a customer that bought a Jr. Statesmen at a show last month and called up and wanted an Emperor F/Pto match.The statesmen was a casting with gold,copper and silver and this matches the Statesmen.Of all the experiments this is my least favorite but I guess the customer has better taste than me (and a hell of a lot more money).

200712801844_s.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Roy,very nice work!
I'm sure a lot of creativity went into
the making;it looks excellent and then some.
Gaudy,well mebbe.The customers money
is right on,though.[;)]

bitshird

Looks good to me, pretty creative way to use metallic leaf foil, as my dear old Dad said the customer is always right, especially when they pay cash

OKLAHOMAN

Nolan,I totaly agree. The Emperor IMHO should be done in a blank that won't clash with the hardware something like solid black, or a solid color burl but her credit card was good[:D] so I really like this one now[;)].
Originally posted by n4631x
<br />Little too much for my taste but hey nice craftsmansip!!

R2

Great fit and finish![:)][8D][8D] I'm not sure whether I really like it but it is a very interesting pen. The experimentation has been worthwhile. It woul be interesting to see, say, a black Ti kit on that material.
I really don't see it as being any more gaudy than a Maki-e pen. just a little more pallid.

workinforwood

It looks like some sort of metal that was sprayed with lacquer and now some of the laquer has wore off in spots. I find it to be almost ugly but certainly not the most Gaudy pen I ever saw, especially when I already made that pen and it sits here on the desk all the time but is my 6yr old daughters favorite pen &lt;shrug&gt;. Obviously your pen is well made, just not to my personal taste. When I first started making pens, you guys told me someone will like it, so there's proof.

Firefyter-emt

I can see why it sold, it's a great looking blank! That blank looks like something I would see in the "Fountain Pen Hospital" issue and have a $899 price tag on it. (Have you ever seen the cataloug?) The latest issue has a pretty cool FP on it, the "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes" pen. Cost?? $12,500
wtf.gif

txbatons

I agree with Tommy...I gave up on what is attractive to me! People keep ordering what I think is the oddest combinations of kits and woods, but they smile as they write the check!

redfishsc

Yup, that's gaudy alright, and the colors don't float my boat, but it obviously does float someone else's (and your wallet for that matter).

With that being said, I would be the pen looks better in person than in a pic. Just looking at the intricate patterns in the metal/resin casting, I'd have to say that's one of the more interesting blanks I've ever seen.

If you could get the right color metal powders, you could really hammer down that Abalone shell look (blues/silver/greens/purples/pinks). I'd be willing to pay for a blank like that.

alxe24

I like the blank. I would team it with different hardware (pen type) but since the customer wanted this why not pleased the customer. At the end they are always right.
Alex

OKLAHOMAN

A big thanks to all who gave their opinon on this it seems that we are divided as to likes and dislikes. Now as to how the blank was made,I would not have posted it and not told how it was made. I was experimenting useing 24 K gold inch and half squares along with silver and copper that I got off of e-bay. On this one and the Statesmen I took the tubes and used a sizing that is used to glue metal leaf and covered both tubes and left overnight, the next day I took small pieces of the gold,cooper and silver and layed them on the tubes then then coated with a sealer and left to dry for 24 hrs. next I cast them in clear PR. Fake gold leaf could be used also but the sales aspect is much better with real 24 K gold.

Originally posted by RONB
<br />I like the look of the blank very much, would you share the process?

Daniel

Roy,
That Pen reminds me of a kitchen I painted years ago. I was embarrassed to have the over spray on my equipment. but her money was the right color and spent just like any other. nice work even though your heart was not in it.

MDWine

Very interesting indeed... I saw the different leaf packages in the Michaels store just this weekend, I was talking to my wifey about the possibilities of doing just what you did!! Now I'm even more convinced!!

Nice job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom