The most amazing piece of wood I've ever turned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from azamiryou

azamiryou

I got this piece of Honduran Rosewood Burl from Exotic Blanks a while ago, and finally got around to making a pen out of it. Too bad they're all out now, I'd sure like to get some more pieces that are this gorgeous!

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.339882114.jpg
    il_fullxfull.339882114.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 441
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

HRB is awesome looking. Turning can be challenging though as the wood fibers like to separate if you don't keep the tools "scarey sharp".

Great looking figure in that piece!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There is a lesson there, that I learned when I started woodturning.

At the time, there was gorgeous olive wood available. So, I bought a couple pieces for peppermills. Turned out great, but about six months had passed. That was mid-1990's, I have not seen the same quality olive since.

Recently, we have had that Honduran rosewood and some Concinna and Corrugata that were all extraordinary. But again, not to be repeated. Interesting when the "great" wood becomes available---GET it!!!

We are looking at a couple possibilities now, but they are always a guess, coming from halfway around the world!!

GREAT looking pen, Matt---wish we had more!!!

Ogg

There is a lesson there, that I learned when I started woodturning.

At the time, there was gorgeous olive wood available. So, I bought a couple pieces for peppermills. Turned out great, but about six months had passed. That was mid-1990's, I have not seen the same quality olive since.

Recently, we have had that Honduran rosewood and some Concinna and Corrugata that were all extraordinary. But again, not to be repeated. Interesting when the "great" wood becomes available---GET it!!!

We are looking at a couple possibilities now, but they are always a guess, coming from halfway around the world!!

GREAT looking pen, Matt---wish we had more!!!

I see we have learned from the same book....I use to buy loads of Olive in the early 90's when it was cheap. Not cheap anymore.

Wish I would have purchased more Snakewood when I had the chance. I've been slowly working on a log of it for over a decade, but the log is getting small.

I did score big though when I was offered a 100 lb. log of black Gaboon Ebony for $1 a lb. They must have had a ton of it at the time and I sent some bagpipe makers down to purchase what they could...boy did they score big!

Another one that was around for awhile at a good price was some highly figured Australian Blackwood. I should have gotten more of that :frown:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Love that wood as well. Bought some similar at the AAW symposium when it was in Richmond. Still have a few small pieces left. Was looking at a big piece and even though it was several $100, I have since regretted not buying that as well. Nice pen.

Top Bottom