morta pentel pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pipecrafter

pipecrafter

The itch was too great, and I had to scratch it. Seeing everyone else with questions and such about using a pentel pencil mechanism, curiosity got the better of me and I went and made one.

(click for bigger)

I made it out of some Morta (Irish Bog Oak) that I got from Mike Shue. What an interesting material! That's an original in the back for comparison. I wasn't originally going to put the clip on, but after looking at it on the lathe, I decided it just didn't look right without it.

It took a while, to make this, but really only because I had to make a bushing from ebonite so that I could easily cut the tenon for the nib and quickly judge the size of the front of the barrel. I made a mandrel out of the shaft of a Woodcraft mandrel I had lying around. It really went easier than I thought it might. Now that I have both a specialized mandrel and a bushing, the next Pentel should go together very quickly. Now I just have to decide on material....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rick_lindsey

Cool! Does it take a fancy drill bit to do one of these, or can you shop-make all the stuff you need for pentel pencils?

-Rick

pipecrafter

Sweet, but I thought you were going to be working on pipes? now hurry up, I wanna see.:biggrin:

Regretfully, I popped the ancient leather belt on my metal lathe, so couldn't fashion a stem this weekend - but I did get the morta drilled and ready for it. I have a belt on the way, and hopefully it will be here in the next couple days. I'm as anxious (or moreso!) than you. :biggrin:

rick_lindsey said:
Cool! Does it take a fancy drill bit to do one of these, or can you shop-make all the stuff you need for pentel pencils?

I made all the stuff I need. :wink: If you look around on the forum, you'll find a thread for the mandrel that will make it easy to make these - I blatantly stole that idea and made my own (not gonna offer for sale - don't ask). Technically speaking, you don't need that mandrel, you could turn between centers, but I chose the mandrel route.

Other than that, you need a long length 1/4" bit, a long length 5/32" bit, a short length 17/16" bit, and a spare Pentel P200 series pencil. It's really easier than it looks like from reading the how-tos.

Top Bottom