More Watch Parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Si90

Si90

For some reason at the minute I could probably sell as many of these as I could make. The trouble is they just take so long - I like to put plenty of parts in them. I also find that for every watch face that I can bend I have 3 or 4 that won't for various reasons. I have had some really nice faces that as soon as you bend them they clean break or the face coating peels off or cracks but onward and upward. Here are the latest 2 already sold and ready to go to their new owners.

The first one is made from a watch that was given to a family relation on his 21st birthday so that makes it a good 50 years old or so. He is giving it to his son as a gift.

And the second:

Until next time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

Great Pens. You really do pack them full of parts! It looks like you are also using carbon fiber as the backing? If so, how much wall thickness do you have to work with on the casting? I have only done an Aero type pen this way as it has a fairly generous amount of space to work with, but yours are definitely works of art. Bending those clock faces and then adding the hands on top must make for a real challenge.

Last edited:
Very nice Simon, those look really good. I am glad you mentioned how many dials you lose when it comes to bending them, and isn't it also the face that you paid the most for and really wanted. I have two or three right now that I know are going to crack, trying to figure out away to bend them without that happening, not there yet.

And they do take a lot of time, I figure I have 2-3 hours in just bending and gluing on parts, much more if I am filing down the larger thicker parts to bend. But when everything comes together and the stars are in alignment they just look incredible and you can't stop looking at all the tiny pieces.

Mike

Si90

Great Pens. You really do pack them full of parts! It looks like you are also using carbon fiber as the backing? If so, how much wall thickness do you have to work with on the casting? I have only done an Aero type pen this way as it has a fairly generous amount of space to work with, but yours are definitely works of art. Bending those clock faces and then adding the hands on top must make for a real challenge.

Thanks

The background is indeed Carbon Fiber. The kit is a Baron so there is not much space, I would say 1mm maybe 1.25mm tops. I wet sand the CF to smooth it out and to give a little more room. The centre where the hands are is quite thick hence the curve on the pen. I prefer my pens straight but you have no option but to curve it as the hands stick proud of the bushings.

eranox

Those are masterpieces! I don't know where to begin. Absolutely flawless from start to finish.

I'm impressed by your skill, your creativity, and above all your patience. I don't think I could pull that off no matter how long I had to do it. Those are just fantastic!

Marko50

As usual Simon, perfection. I'm definitely a student of yours. You continue to blow my mind. Thanks for your amazing photography too!

Nice pens keep up the good work. Maybe if you are selling them as fast as you can make them you need to charge more for them? Not sure what you are charging but you may as well charge what the market will allow.

Si90

Maybe if you are selling them as fast as you can make them you need to charge more for them?

I'm starting to think you might be right.:rolleyes: I find it's a fine line between getting the right price and it sitting in a box going nowhere because of the price. I have been leaning towards I'd rather sell than have it kicking around but it may be time to increase them slightly.

Thanks all for the kind words about the pens, as always it's very much appreciated.

Hendu3270

Very nice pen indeed.

I wonder if you'd have less failures with the watch face cracking or breaking if you heated it slightly before attemptng the bend. Problem would be how to bend it without burning it. I remember Texas State Optical (TSO) having a small container that heated up fine sand. They would poke the earpiece of plastic glasses frames in it for a minute then bend them easily once they pulled them out. Something like that might make it easier to bend, without compromising them. Just a thought.

Top Bottom