More spirals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Tried spiraling some cigars today...the first is Redheart. Discovered that spiral cuts with the grain (cross-cut turning orientation) works really well.
spiral_7.jpg

This is Chokte Viga, one of my favorite woods.
spiral_6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

olsenla

Wow Ed, those are great!! I really like the proportion of these spirals on the pens. When I saw your previous post I went to the Sorby website and downloaded the videos for the tool. I don't know if I could master its use, but you certainly have. I think the cross-cut redheart is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Larry

YoYoSpin

Thanks JC...the spiraling process takes me about 2-3 minutes per blank. It's really pretty easy, but I have had about one in ten blanks not turn out well, where the spirals overlapped and got all gnarly. It may have something to do with vibration and whip around the center of the mandrel where the turnings are least supported. Might be best to have just one blank on the mandrel at a time to minimize this issue.

Ravenbsp

Do you use a metal lathe? If so, what change gear set up do you use when cutting the threads? When I try to cut at less than 12 TPI, I have trouble getting enough torque for even shallow cuts.

jeffj13

The spirals look cool. However, I think I agree with Rob, at least as far as the Redheart goes. The wood is so pretty, I'm not sure that I would have spiraled that one.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom