More Simple Segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Had some time in the shop today.

Here are the blanks that I had started some time ago and were seen when I had shown the jig I used to make my feather cuts. I did 2 blanks. One on the left is a 60 degree cut and the one on the right is a 45 degree cut with a couple rings on the ends. Each is black acrylic and aluminum inlay. Both are Sierra Vista kits. I did the 2 cuts to show the difference in look and that either angle is just fine for these simple cuts. There is so much you can do with this simple cut. More to follow. As always any comments or questions are always welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I read the thread you posted and just love this concept. It is simple as you said just like mine are. There is not as much to making these pens as people think. It just takes practice. I know that mine get better every time I go to the band saw and make another one. I have pretty much decided I won't put out any more pens that don't have some sort of segmenting in them. I may try this method that you are using. Thanks for posting these and reminding me about this.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
John is a master at segmenting, not only in doing them, but creating them as well.

My only wish is that I could get customers interested in the Sierra style pen. For some reason unknown to me, they shy away from them altogether!

He knows from another forum I prefer the 60° cuts, but to each his own is my motto!

jttheclockman

I read the thread you posted and just love this concept. It is simple as you said just like mine are. There is not as much to making these pens as people think. It just takes practice. I know that mine get better every time I go to the band saw and make another one. I have pretty much decided I won't put out any more pens that don't have some sort of segmenting in them. I may try this method that you are using. Thanks for posting these and reminding me about this.

Thanks Mike. As the old saying goes KISS (keep it simple stupid:)) That is what makes some of this segmenting great. It is simple geometric designs that happen when things are turned round. The swirl design has so many possibilities alone. I am going to take this idea a step further on my next one and see how it comes out. It may take a few practice shots to get the depth of cuts right but will post if something good comes of it.

John is a master at segmenting, not only in doing them, but creating them as well.

My only wish is that I could get customers interested in the Sierra style pen. For some reason unknown to me, they shy away from them altogether!

He knows from another forum I prefer the 60° cuts, but to each his own is my motto!
Thanks Mack but I am no master of anything. I do like experimenting and do not like boring blanks. I think the blank is what gives us that WOW factor. I am hoping to now be able to get in the shop more and try new things in the next couple weeks.

Mack I am glad you gave these a try. I am with you on the 60 degree thing because it streches out the design more. I did the 2 pens using the different angles to give people an idea what they look like doing this. As always everyone is different when it comes to taste of designs and they can choose for themselves or create something totally different.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice work John. :wink: Kind of reminds me of a couple I did about 5 years ago also with a homemade jig :biggrin:
1_SierraVsElegantBeauty.jpg

Making the cut depth beyond the mid point adds a little 'tick' like the Nike logo. Looks cool if you can get to curl back on itself like that. You have to use thin material though. No problem if you cut too deep as you then of course just end up with a Celtic Cross style.

I'm still eagerly waiting for you to top the black and white panache you made some time ago. Watcha waiting for buddy???:tongue:

jttheclockman

Nice work John. :wink: Kind of reminds me of a couple I did about 5 years ago also with a homemade jig :biggrin:
1_SierraVsElegantBeauty.jpg

Making the cut depth beyond the mid point adds a little 'tick' like the Nike logo. Looks cool if you can get to curl back on itself like that. You have to use thin material though. No problem if you cut too deep as you then of course just end up with a Celtic Cross style.

I'm still eagerly waiting for you to top the black and white panache you made some time ago. Watcha waiting for buddy???:tongue:

Skip you are correct on all accounts. That is what makes this simple cut exciting. There is so many different possibilities. Just by using the bandsaw can take it to a new level and you can make thinner cuts as you did. I am sure you did not use a bandsaw but not all people are setup with their lathes as you. But it can be done with simple wood tools.

As far as topping the Panache. The parts for the blank are sitting on my workbench my friend. Not sure if it will meet your expectations but it will be different. Have not completed that one because right now I have so many other ideas running through my thick skull. I am a little eager to give some of these a try. You will be seeing some new pens from my shop over the next couple weeks if all goes well and the unexpected does not happen. I'm back.

dankc908

Damn John - you do VERY nice work. I've been following you since your clock and 'scroll-saw' days and have been impressed each step of the way. I'd love to have some time for some training from you in some of your techniques. It's too bad we live so far away from each other!

Dan

jttheclockman

Damn John - you do VERY nice work. I've been following you since your clock and 'scroll-saw' days and have been impressed each step of the way. I'd love to have some time for some training from you in some of your techniques. It's too bad we live so far away from each other!

Dan

Thanks Dan and nice of you to say. Yes we do go way back don't we??? I still dabble with the scrollsawing too and eventually I will marry the 2 of them together and have at it. So many things and such little time to do them. Thanks again.

Top Bottom