More Scallops with Ivory and Lucite this time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Okay, so my last one was difficult to top and that was obvious after finishing this one up. I wanted to make a clean, fresh looking design that wasn't screaming at me sitting on my desk. Well, this was the result. I used Clear Ivory and Butterscotch ribbon lucite with brass accent sheets on a full sized Statesman. I left off one of the scallops on the cap for a bolder look with the clip...not really sure how I feel about it since it kind of screwed up the flow of the scallops on the lower tube. Anyways...it is what it is and it's time to move on to something else....more segmenting and wood. Enjoy

6432561625_ce198b2865_z.jpg

6432561513_4a7fb77875_z.jpg

As always, larger images can be seen in my IAP Gallery or on my Flickr site...both linked below. Enjoy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Another beauty Tim. I think the ribbins in the lucite take away from your scallops though, so I'm only going to score it 9.95.

Last edited:
WOW that looks awsome! I really like the multi-tone in the scallops, the pen has a simple look with all the white but the scallops add a lot with a little.

Well done!

Chris

BSea

Ok, now your just showing off.:wink:

Just kidding. I really admire your segmenting ability. Your red tru-stone with white scallops is what inspired me to do a scalloped pen. I think they are really cool. And now I've been asked to do a demo at one of our meetings . . . . gulp

Drstrangefart

That does look impressive. I think the missing scallop isn't a bad thing, it's a very subtle touch that adds to the cap. I wouldn't have noticed it at first had you not said anything.

BlackPearl

you are right it is not good...not good at all.

Send it to me and I will be sure the sight of it will not haunt you for ever. Yes just move on to another area where you can make some of the rest of us feel even less competent.

I wish that this was not December, I would love to be in the shop building skill to do something like that.

wiset1

When I left that single scallop out of the design I didn't take into account that it shouldn't have been the last one, but the first one if that makes sense. When everything was put together the center section lined up when the cap is on, but the cross sections in brass don't line up with the lower section on the back side. The idea was sound, but the execution lacked clarity of the end result. That's what happens with last minute ideas...oh well. Pretty in pictures

wiset1

Thanks again everyone for the kind words! I have a couple more of the books that I want to do so lets see if they turn out.

wiset1

Thanks Terry! It's pretty simple to wrap you head around the concept. I posted the tutorial link on my other pen posted with scallops. Take care and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

TerryDowning

It's all about finding the time now....

I did read your tutorial though and seems simple enough. In fact it looks easier than celtic knots (which I haven't tried yet either. I have done some simple segmented pens though and like doing those.

I'll post results when I get some shop time.

wiset1

It's all about finding the time now....

I did read your tutorial though and seems simple enough. In fact it looks easier than celtic knots (which I haven't tried yet either. I have done some simple segmented pens though and like doing those.

I'll post results when I get some shop time.

The tutorial was done by Gisi so I can't take any kind of credit for it.

If you or Allan have any questions when you start doing the scallops please feel free to PM me. I'm more than happy to assist.

Boogief

That is amazing. I went to flicker and saw some of your other work. I want to start turning pens; I just hope to be able produce work like this

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Tim I like the simple design with the colors, great combo. I would offer as a sugestion that you try one like it with a scallop design on the bottom of the lower tube but set a a 60 degree angle istead of the 45. Then your bottom scallops would match as a design element but be subtly different.

wiset1

Tim I like the simple design with the colors, great combo. I would offer as a sugestion that you try one like it with a scallop design on the bottom of the lower tube but set a a 60 degree angle istead of the 45. Then your bottom scallops would match as a design element but be subtly different.

Great idea! I've stuck in the middle and doing 45's so I really should try something new. Thanks for the feedback!

wiset1

I just posted steps for doing scallops in the Advanced Pen Making section if anyone is looking.

Title: "Steps I use for Scalloping *Long*"

Top Bottom