AcrylicSet_7a.jpg

AcrylicSet_7b.jpg

Craft Supplies Gold Gent Jr. with the new CS Celluloid
AcrylicSet_6a.jpg

AcrylicSet_6b.jpg

I'm thinking the gold kit may look best with these new Red/Black/White blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Ed you out do yourself each time you post photo's of your pens. I too like turning the acrylics, I did the yellow with black swirl in a Black Titanium El Grande pen and pencil set and liked the outcome. I just recieved some of the new CSUSA celluloids today and can't wait to get everything finished up that I have going so I can get them on my lathe.

Wayne

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Ed, you obviously really like turning those "plastics", I have not turned any yet... seems I have this aversion to anything not "natural"... but I think you are beginning to change my mind... I am definately going to have to try some of those materials... LOL

YoYoSpin

For those of you who want to give plastics a try, here are a couple of tips...first and foremost, use scrapers with the burr removed. A "negative rake" scraper is even better. Second, wet sand only...do not dry sand.

I use to struggle with trying to get those tiny scratches and swirls out, and have finally settle in on the following process that works for me on all acrylics, celluloid’s and similar materials: wet sand in 220, 400 and 600 grit increments, then robustly Beall buff with the Tripoli and White Diamond wheels...that's it.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the tip Anthony, I just purchased a couple of that pretty yellow/striped acrylic at my local Woodcraft to give it a try this weekend.

JohnPayton

jkirkb94

As another alternative to Ed's finishing, I have been using the Pen Finishing Kit from Woodcraft (product #143186, also available from other sources) for a while. I usually skip the 1st 2 grits and wet sand with the rest. I dip the pad in water and try to keep some of the water cupped in the pad as I use it. Refreshing the water once or twice with each pad. If I miss some scratches I go back and start again and am more agressive with the lower grits if necessary. I recently bought some MM in pads from 1500 to 12000 and will be trying them. I need to try your advice, Ed, and get a scraper. Do you have a link to one of the "negative rake" scrapers? Kirk [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom