More Patriots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Ok, ok, I let Connie show off her first pen...she done good I think! I was very proud of the way they all turned out.Here's a picture of all the Patriots.I loved the Box Elder Burl....got several more blanks I need to have stablized!

200541123220_first4Patriots.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Nice job Mick! I am beginning to like that kit, too...really shows off a nice piece of wood.

Keep up the good work you two!

I'll speak for Mick LOL the first one (black) is that new Charcoal Dymondwood with a black kit--next time, we order some chrome or try and find some of that black titanium. The second one is "my" first pen, made of BOW..the next is Juniper, then the box elder, which looks fantastic. THAT pen needed the black titanium & I think the BOW needed something a little less 'shiny', but I didn't care for the black either. Too bad Hobby Lobby doesnt' carry these kits!! Woodcraft is in Bham, and I'm not LOL But Mike goes there plenty enough!

wayneis

Very nice work to the both of you. I've done a few of that style lately and after using one for a while now I do like them.

Pastor I have to agree with you, that one does look more like buckeye. I also think that the BOW doesn't look like BOW, it looks more like one of the burlwoods.

Wayne

mick

lol......guys I'm pretty new to this , but I bought the Box elder Burl off eBay it's been dyed black and stablized. I do have some great Buckeye Burl I need to send to River Ridge and have stablized. The Olivewood , believe me it was olive wood ..no doubt about it from the smell as you turn it! I too was amazed at the grain pattern ....or lack of It looked like burl to me too. I had originally glued that blank up to turn myself and saved it for last but after Connie was nice enough to cut the grass I couldn't say no when she asked to turn a pen and I thought that the Patriot would be an easy "first pen" As she turned it I kept seeing this fantastic grain come out and man was I jealous!I wanted that pen! BAD! But being the dutiful "almost husband" I try to be, I bit my tongue and let her finish it. She did good! I think this calls for a second lathe.......lets say a Jet Midi variable speed (hope Connie reads this..or somebody planning on getting us a wedding present)Woodcraft has em for a mere 349.00 plus tax.....lol

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Great pens, Mick and Connie. The olive wood is more likely Russian olive wood burl. I've gotten a few pieces from Arizona Silhouette that finished just like that!

mick

Lou I actually bought this wood off eBay and it came with certificates of authenticity as to it being BOW I think it was the company that uses Griz's name in their ads. I hope they didn't substitute another wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom