more from my forge...less than happy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Artisan iron designs

Here are 3 of 8 faith hope love kits from psi. I was wondering if any one else made these, because I found the casting of the center band is not quite up to snuff. It seems the top and bottom are not parallel and I have gaps where it touches the blank, all be it only 2-3 thou out. Im thinking of chucking the bands and giving them a truing up cut. Psi is great about this and sending me some new bands to see if it was just a bad batch. all in all they look good if you dont know what to look fore...lol. Also I tried a new way to temper colour. if you look at the copper pen I did a fade. let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_20170727_112139386 (800x450).jpg
    IMG_20170727_112139386 (800x450).jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thawkins87

I've had the exact same problem with both the twist and RB FHL pens from PSI, in a variety of colors. Some of the replacements I received fixed the issue, some did not. Seems they may have a bit of a quality control problem with the casting.

I really love the look of those pens though! Makes me want to start designing a forge again!

I've had the exact same problem with both the twist and RB FHL pens from PSI, in a variety of colors. Some of the replacements I received fixed the issue, some did not. Seems they may have a bit of a quality control problem with the casting.

I really love the look of those pens though! Makes me want to start designing a forge again!

Lol thx. I built my own with 3 one inch burners and can hit 2500 deg

Rolandranch

I would have to agree that PSI's quality control is seriously lacking on a lot of their kits. You can expect similar problems with any of their casted kits (dragon, cowboy, southwest, celtic, etc.). Those are some pretty sweet pens though! Thanks for sharing.

TonyL

Very, very well-done. I was "told" by Tony of PSI that they had trouble with this design and any kit built on the same platform. I had two make 5 to get 3 that worked. I still have the other 2 that need some type of fixing - this s going back almost 2 years around their debut.

OZturner

Fantastic Pens Vincent.
Love your Glorious Steel Blanks,
The Copper one seem to standout a bit more that the rest.
I would have thought that PSI would be using Injection Casting, obviously their supplier is not testing or truing them prior to colour process, or they may be subjected to uneven heat in the subsequent processes.
Great Craftsmanship.
Brian.

Top Bottom