More macadamia stuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

Made another pen from the salvaged macadamia wood and added a couple pictures of the remaining blanks. The two blanks with the rays were crosscut from the center of a log, and the two that are lighter in color were cut longitudinally. All were wiped with thinner.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Beautiful pen! The timber is outstanding and the fit and finish is great. You have a pen there to be proud to pull from your pocket in front of anyone. The cross cut blanks are beautiful, but, the longitudinally cut ones are just plain gorgeous.
Charles

Gilrock

Nice pen. I was wondering what materials you use for the white and black accent bands? I've tried using black styrene for segmenting and had trouble with it heating up and coming loose when drilling on the lathe. I've had it come apart with both epoxy and CA glue. Usually I've been able to just take the parts and re-glue them back together on the tube and save the piece but it was such a pain I've been reluctant to use that material again.

Gil

wiset1

SWEET! I can do a lot of stuff with pens, but I can never get things to line up correctly when I cross cut. This looks awesome...well done!

Robert111

Nice pen. I was wondering what materials you use for the white and black accent bands? I've tried using black styrene for segmenting and had trouble with it heating up and coming loose when drilling on the lathe. I've had it come apart with both epoxy and CA glue. Usually I've been able to just take the parts and re-glue them back together on the tube and save the piece but it was such a pain I've been reluctant to use that material again.

Gil

I use pick guard (sanded to rough the surface) and thin CA. I immediately spray thoroughly with accelerator, which allows me to drill or cut with my chop saw right away. I always drill carefully--slowly, at 360 rpm on the lathe holding the work piece in spigot jaws, but sometimes the drilling will cause a separation. I've reduced these failures by taking it very slowly whenever I drill through an angled joint. The straight 90 degree joints don't seem to separate so much. I'm thinking I should predrill with a 1/4 bit before drilling at the tube size.

All of that being said, I do experience a high failure rate (at the joints) when drilling and later when turning. I'm looking for help with that.

I have done some scalloping also and use a jig for that. It's a sled I push through my table saw that holds the blank at a very slight angle. When I get home, I'll post a picture of this jig and one I use for cutting the corners off my segmented blanks before turning.

Robert111

SWEET! I can do a lot of stuff with pens, but I can never get things to line up correctly when I cross cut. This looks awesome...well done!

In reading your responses to comments on your segmented, scalloped pen that has attracted so much well-deserved praise, I see that you use a sander for fitting your segments. Therein may lie the reason for the difficulty getting things aligned. I use my $90 Ryobi mini-chop saw from Home Depot. It has a 7" skillsaw blade (1/16) kerf, and I replaced the fence it came with with a piece of Trex, making it perfect for segmenting.

Been looking at everything I can find that you've done. Superb work!:beer:

Robert111

I use my $90 Ryobi mini-chop saw from Home Depot. It has a 7" skillsaw blade (1/16) kerf, and I replaced the fence it came with with a piece of Trex, making it perfect for segmenting.

Been looking at everything I can find that you've done. Superb work!:beer:

This is my little Ryobi:

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 111

Robert111

Gil

I use pick guard (sanded to rough the surface) and thin CA. I immediately spray thoroughly with accelerator, which allows me to drill or cut with my chop saw right away. I always drill carefully--slowly, at 360 rpm on the lathe holding the work piece in spigot jaws, but sometimes the drilling will cause a separation. I've reduced these failures by taking it very slowly whenever I drill through an angled joint. The straight 90 degree joints don't seem to separate so much. I'm thinking I should predrill with a 1/4 bit before drilling at the tube size.

All of that being said, I do experience a high failure rate (at the joints) when drilling and later when turning. I'm looking for help with that.

I have done some scalloping also and use a jig for that. It's a sled I push through my table saw that holds the blank at a very slight angle. When I get home, I'll post a picture of this jig and one I use for cutting the corners off my segmented blanks before turning.

The jig for scalloping:

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 124

Robert111

Gil

The jig for cutting corners off segmented (or any) blanks before turning:

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 114
Top Bottom