Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Another of the mokume gane.

200812835450_MokumeGane2.jpg

Damascus

200812835524_Damascus.jpg

Cap detail

200812835557_DamascusCap.jpg

As always, thank you for looking and particularly to those who add comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Very nice! Both are beautiful, but I particularly like the shape you've given the Damascus pen. I can't quite tell what the finish is on the components -- is that black ti?.

-Barry

avbill

Your Damascus reminds me of a line in My Fair Lady.

"Congraduations, Mr. Metcalf You did it!! "

You made a most graceful, elegant and sophisticated pen. This is a habit of yours? ;)

It will be nice in time to produce such a pen. Bill DAniels

IPD_Mrs

The more I look at the Damascus and the beautiful job you did Lou, the more inclined I am to spring for a couple of those blanks.

Mike

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement! I like all three of the metal blanks I have turned, but I think the Damascus is my favorite. It was also, BY FAR, the most difficult to turn. It dulled my tools faster than either the mokume gane or the black gold. Thanks also for the comments on my photos. Giving credit where it is due, my improvement is due to Gerry Rhoades patience a few months back. I'm still working on the basics, but the direction he gives is spot on. The kit plating on both pens is black titanium. Thanks, again, for taking time to comment.

wjskip

Absoluty stunning Do you think the pen could be turned without a tube being installed? Is there enough structural strength to make it work and save a little weight. Very little but a little.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, again, for the additional comments. The damascus is definitely a heavy and solid blank. In response to your question, Bill, the blank will certainly support the components without tubes but I do not think the weight savings will be noticeable since you would need to use a smaller drill bit and remove less of the barrel material.

Top Bottom