More leather and bullets.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Iceman

Iceman

After reading some of the posts here with regards to turning leather, I decided to give it a shot (LOL). Stacked 1" square pieces of leather and glued together with Gorilla Glue.

Drilled blank for 7mm tube and used Gorilla Glue to glue tube. It turned fairly easy using a 3/8" gouge, made sure it was SHARP. Sanded leather to 400 grit, applied about six coats of medium CA and then wet sanded to 12000 with MM.

I had some left over parts (.308 shell and golf club clip) and put this together. I've got some more glued up and will try other kits.

L8R.

Attachments

• Leather pen.jpg
    Leather pen.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

After reading some of the posts here with regards to turning leather, I decided to give it a shot (LOL). Stacked 1" square pieces of leather and glued together with Gorilla Glue.

Drilled blank for 7mm tube and used Gorilla Glue to glue tube. It turned fairly easy using a 3/8" gouge, made sure it was SHARP. Sanded leather to 400 grit, applied about six coats of medium CA and then wet sanded to 12000 with MM.

I had some left over parts (.308 shell and golf club clip) and put this together. I've got some more glued up and will try other kits.

L8R.
Very nice. NOw we need to figure out how to market the pen. Leather Pens?? Maybe they would go with leather whips???

PenPal

Truly special pen L8R to acheive such a result makes it seem an easy process but my thoughts are this leather is both thick and physically strong. The pen would be attractive to anyone golfing, owns strong leather belts, ever rode a horse with a leather saddle, endless sale situations including stockwhip users, shooters, sporting groups, target shooters, recreation shooters, people on the land ad infinitum. Quite marketable to most people IMHO.

Reminds me sometimes chance can play a huge part in discovery and invention. With you having items in hand in front of you and then actually visualising this could set a trend in pens. I know I hear you say this has been done before however you have done it now.

Reminds me of a world famous Scientist I know who was travelling a huge distance from home answered the call of nature and there right in front of his vision was Neanderthal Ant that was described in Australia a century or more ago never seen since, new species named after my mate, I had the privilige of photographing the progeny of the ants he collected in Pupae, Larvae, Juvenile and Adults with eggs for this Scientific breakthrough. The Ant was to Scientists as Prehistoric Mammoth significance.

Now before I finish your pen pleases me I am not a Golfer, nor a shooter but admire good carefull workmanship, it inspires me to follow through on my aims to do different pens.

Regards Peter.

Iceman

Thanks all for the comments. I have a few more ideas I am going to try. I have some wafer thin pieces of 'Corian' I might glue in and maybe try some staining. Got a bunch of leather scraps that I paid little for.

Drstrangefart

Thanks all for the comments. I have a few more ideas I am going to try. I have some wafer thin pieces of 'Corian' I might glue in and maybe try some staining. Got a bunch of leather scraps that I paid little for.

We did one where we alternated leather, purple heart at 1/16th inch thick, leather, purple heart for the barrel. Came out exceedingly nice with the high gloss finish.

Top Bottom