More honeycomb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I can't let Roy (budnder) have all the fun with the honeycomb blanks. Finished the red blank from last week and put it on a Le Roi Elegant Major. Looking forward to working with the blue and gold that I cast today. No chip outs on this one.

IMG_2109.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

Did you try your etching on the aluminum before casting on this one? Just wondering if you thought that helped with the chipout. More often than not, if I've got a cell on the end that's unsupported by the bushing, then it's going to fly off at some point. It's not been to bothersome, since if it's beyond the bushing it's getting turned off anyway.

Cwalker935

Did you try your etching on the aluminum before casting on this one? Just wondering if you thought that helped with the chipout. More often than not, if I've got a cell on the end that's unsupported by the bushing, then it's going to fly off at some point. It's not been to bothersome, since if it's beyond the bushing it's getting turned off anyway.

My first try with the etching did not work out very well, but I think that I know what I did wrong and am going to give it another try.

jennera

Very nice! I really like the look of the honeycomb blanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

rossvh

I just started turning a honeycomb blank (that I ordered from your link) and immediately there was chip out. Any suggestions? Not wanting to continue if there is a certain way to turn these. Thanks!

RossVH

More4dan

My limited experience (2 turnings) is a chip out while turning round but not once I've turned to dimension. I am using a metal lathe initially taking 15-20 thou cuts. After I use a carbide cutter turning by hand to cut to the final shape. Sharp tools and light passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Cwalker935

I just started turning a honeycomb blank (that I ordered from your link) and immediately there was chip out. Any suggestions? Not wanting to continue if there is a certain way to turn these. Thanks!

RossVH

I haven't provided a link for blanks only the honeycomb aluminum so I do not know anything about blanks that you might have bought. I would suggest that you sand off the corners or use a flap disc to round the blank. Use a very sharp tool and take light cuts. That is what I have been doing.

Good luck.

Top Bottom