More Drill Press Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ghostrider

ghostrider

A neighbor wanted a dark pen, and I had some E. Indian Rosewood left over. I know some might scoff at the finish, and sanding, but I knew she'd like it this way (so do I).

Rhodium Comfort.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My first experience with any kind of burl (I think its maple, but not sure). I tried to stabilize it with polyurethane, but still had many tearouts. I finally just opted for the 60 grit shaping tool to save the project. It took a while, but I'm happy with the results.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Next was a nice piece of cherry that I found at local Woodcraft. The clip has the black stripe, and I decided to make my own CB out of Purpleheart. Very pleased with the way this one turned out even though I messed up the lower barrel.

Again, the images were uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for looking. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Whoa Ghostrider.......... Drill press pens???? are you turning them on the Drill press?

Nice work, I like the rosewood.

ghostrider

Whoa Ghostrider.......... Drill press pens???? are you turning them on the Drill press?

Nice work, I like the rosewood.
That's an affirmative. I have one of the Harbor Freight lathes from (actually had two but took the first one back since it wouldn't work for me), but for some reason, when I turn it on in my shop, it won't spin until I manually start spinning it with my finger. I figured it probably wasn't best to run it under those conditions, so that leaves me with the drill press as my vertical lathe. It could be better, but it's better than nothing, and I'm having fun. Just takes a little longer, and requires a bit more effort.

Glad you like the Rosewood. She loved it, and still hasn't decided if she'll use it, or just admire it. I've always liked the B2B style myself, but seeing another members slimline inspired me to explore a little more. like I said, it could have had a smoother sanding job, but I think it's perfect as it is.

And thanks to both of you. Setting up the lathe attachment can sometimes take as long as turning the pen, but I'm starting to figure out ways to make it not so tedious, like pre-cut/drilling the blanks for more than one pen at a time.

Last edited:

ctubbs

What voltage is your lathe set up for and what is it hooked into? Is it vari-speed? It should start right up without any kind of push.
OOPs, I messed up. Your pens are very good, but having been turned on a drill press, well, that makes them outstanding.
Charles

ghostrider

What voltage is your lathe set up for and what is it hooked into? Is it vari-speed? It should start right up without any kind of push.
OOPs, I messed up. Your pens are very good, but having been turned on a drill press, well, that makes them outstanding.
Charles
This is the lathe I used. I have one I bought off CraigsList, and I had also picked up one new from HF. I tried them both on several outlets with the same results every time. I tested the outlets, and they are putting out 122V. I also checked for ground and it tested good.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-bench-top-wood-lathe-95607.html

Seer

I have a WIlton Lathe that looks exactly like yours and it hasa sloq start but that is what it does it takes a second or 2 to start turning but no problems.

Nice Pens great work

boxxmaker

I just started turning pens a few weeks ago and turned most of the wooden ones from very soft spaulted maple.What I did was turn the pens to amost finsh,then soak em down with thin CA.What tool do you turn them with? I watched a fellow on you tude turn one on a drill press.Don't think I could do it.I have to have a VERY sharp tool an take like cuts.The CA really helps stablize the soft wood.I use the Ci1 rougher and the Ci0 easy finisher.Hope you get you lathe going.

ghostrider

I just started turning pens a few weeks ago and turned most of the wooden ones from very soft spaulted maple.What I did was turn the pens to amost finsh,then soak em down with thin CA.What tool do you turn them with? I watched a fellow on you tude turn one on a drill press.Don't think I could do it.I have to have a VERY sharp tool an take like cuts.The CA really helps stablize the soft wood.I use the Ci1 rougher and the Ci0 easy finisher.Hope you get you lathe going.
I've also done some tinkering with spalted maple. I made the pickle jar vacuum chamber, and stabilized the blanks in polyurethane, then turned them. Seemed to work okay on the blanks that saturated fully.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77964
Ended up taking this apart to fix the finish. Hopping to complete it today, and will probably use gun metal rather than hybrid. Will try to post pics of this one when finished.

I've also tried stabilizing with lacquer, but haven't turned those blanks yet.

ETA:
I used a roughing gouge, and scraper. On the burl I did a lot of work with sandpaper because of tearout. Used so much CA I may have to buy a new bottle. I suppose you could even say that it's also got E. Indian Rosewood, and Cherry in it.lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom