More Cross pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

I call these the crooked cross pens.
I am working on getting some stock replaced this week.
Blanks are Mahogany-----BOW and Ebony back grounds ---Ivory inlays

200612121142_cross2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

John that conbination really jumps out. It is also my best seller. I hade made 6 different crooked cross pens and have sold them all but one-----it has a large price tag, with a gold nib on a fountain pen.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok Gary , I give up. I've seen the famous cross pens by Eagle, but I figured that the cross was made up into a dowel then drilled into the blank at an angle to get the oval. How on earth do you get a flat side to the oval. Please tell[:D]

Gary Max

Heck we have been making cross pens here for years. This is just the version going around now. How do mine come out this way---- I ain't got any ideal. I just make them and they all look about the same. I remember the first ones I made---we used a dremel tool to cut a cross out of the blank them filled the cross with glitter and CA but that was a long time ago.

Jim15

Gary,
Is there a particular reason that you quite using the Dremel tool and then filling it. I was thinking of trying that. Is it just that these look a lot better?

Thanks,

Gary Max

Jim the thing I like about the inlay is two part. Useing the second wood for contrast and the Ivory. The stuff is so white.
With the dremel you can do a lot of different things that I can not do with a inlay but I only can spend so much time making one pen. The thought of spending weeks or even months making a single pen would not work for me. I have to buy grocery's with the coins I earn.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Gary
Could you post a picture of the one in the center showing a "head on" view of the cross?
It looks like the upper and the lower section doesn't match up.
Thanks

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />If you will post a ---How to on making inlays
I post the same thing as you, the finished product.
I am not asking you how to make a crooked cross that is relatively relatively easy. I consider the crooked ones "rejects"I just wanted to see if my suspicion was correct based on the way you took the photo.It looks like it is purposely turned so the mis match isn't as noticeable.
I assumed you are proud enough of the pen to post it in this forum you might consider a simple request for a better view.
I guess I was mistaken.
Making an inlay is simple,Craftmen have been doing for centuries.
Remember "there is nothing new under the sun"[:D]
I make the inlay paying attention to detail.
I cut the pocket, paying attention to detail.
I glue in the inlay.Not too much detail is needed here,the die is already cast as it were.
It is not necessary for me to write a how to, there are plenty available on the net if anyone is interested.The most important. thing as in any woodworking project is paying attention to detail.

Skye

<br />John that conbination really jumps out. It is also my best seller. I hade made 6 different crooked cross pens and have sold them all but one-----it has a large price tag, with a gold nib on a fountain pen.

You're not at all uncomfortable selling something you know isnt on target?

Jim15

Thanks Gary, that makes sense.

jim

<br />Jim the thing I like about the inlay is two part. Useing the second wood for contrast and the Ivory. The stuff is so white.
With the dremel you can do a lot of different things that I can not do with a inlay but I only can spend so much time making one pen. The thought of spending weeks or even months making a single pen would not work for me. I have to buy grocery's with the coins I earn.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by skiprat
<br />Ok Gary , I give up. I've seen the famous cross pens by Eagle, but I figured that the cross was made up into a dowel then drilled into the blank at an angle to get the oval. How on earth do you get a flat side to the oval. Please tell[:D]

Ok, Ok, don't shoot me please. Just found out that Eagles crosses and others are in fact inlays, not just made up dowels. I didn't actually say they were, just that was how I guessed they were made.
Sorry for thinking otherwise. Darn, now you know how I'll make them[B)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom