More Christmas gifts ready (long post -- sorry!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dthayer

dthayer

I've been busy in the shop for the last couple of weeks working on Christmas gifts and got way behind in my photo taking. I finally caught up with that this weekend and thought I would share. As always, C & C are always welcomed and encouraged...

The first is one I did for my brother who has always had a great love of music and the Lord. I did this music kit in Bethlehem Olive Wood:

attachment.php

The next is for a great friend and best man at my wedding (way too many years ago to count) who gave out Star Trek lapel pins at his own wedding. This blank reminded me of outer space so I couldn't resist to boldly go... er... well anyway, you get the drift:

attachment.php

If you have read any of my posts, you probably know that my son is a Boy Scout in a troop on a local Marine base. This pen is for his current Scoutmaster -- currently on active duty but soon to retire and become a police officer (some people just continue to be heroes!). My original idea was to center the globe on the blank but I'm not super happy with that so next time I'll just center the entire design:

attachment.php

For a good friend that is a network guru by weekday and an Air Force reservist on the weekend I thought this next kit was perfect. The blank was made by segmenting some leftover from a circuit board blank with the leftovers from my friend's Star Trek pen separated with brass strips. This one just about defeated me as the circuit board blank was predrilled and tubed and I had to come up with a good way to attach the rest of the segments. I was cogitating on that one for a while:

attachment.php

And for his wife who has bravely battled cancer for years and refuses to let it get her down, I did a Breast Cancer Awareness kit with a segmented blank (Rhino Northern Lights / brass / solid pink acrylic):

attachment.php

The man that was my son's Scoutmaster up until last year and who has been there since my son was a Tiger Cub Scout gets a magnetic Vertex kit. I really like the stabilized Maple burl blank:

attachment.php

And for his wife who is an emergency room physician's assistant and one of the few female Asst Scoutmasters that I know, I had to do a kit with the Caduceus inlay. When we moved from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts and the outings got more adventurous, my wife's only question was usually, "Is S. going?" If I could answer yes, she felt better. Now, if my wife only knew that S. didn't baby the kids -- there had to be blood involved to get her attention and then she usually just used CA and / or duct tape to patch them up, she may have felt differently! :eek::wink::

attachment.php

I did my first Concava kit for another friend from scouts. I really like this kit and I think the Buckeye burl blank really turned out nicely. It was very easy to turn:

attachment.php

Here's a group shot of all of them (and a few others):

attachment.php

Thank you for putting up with this long winded novel but some of you made the mistake of saying you like the stories behind the pens and, if nothing else, I'm full of stories!! :eek::redface:

I have a few more to finish this week... I sure am having fun and really appreciate all the help that I have gotten on this forum. Thanks much to all!!!

Attachments

• DirkThayer_Pens-40.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-40.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 729
  • DirkThayer_Pens-41.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-41.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 635
  • DirkThayer_Pens-43.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-43.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 609
  • DirkThayer_Pens-45.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-45.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 600
  • DirkThayer_Pens-46.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-46.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 555
  • DirkThayer_Pens-47.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-47.jpg
    577 KB · Views: 605
  • DirkThayer_Pens-48.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-48.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 506
  • DirkThayer_Pens-50.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-50.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 525
  • DirkThayer_Pens-52.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-52.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Dirk,
Fantastic pens as well as the stories behind the pens!
Your generosity to these folks who have made a difference will be greatly appreciated!

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I've been busy in the shop for the last couple of weeks working on Christmas gifts and got way behind in my photo taking. I finally caught up with that this weekend and thought I would share. As always, C & C are always welcomed and encouraged...

The first is one I did for my brother who has always had a great love of music and the Lord. I did this music kit in Bethlehem Olive Wood:

attachment.php

The next is for a great friend and best man at my wedding (way too many years ago to count) who gave out Star Trek lapel pins at his own wedding. This blank reminded me of outer space so I couldn't resist to boldly go... er... well anyway, you get the drift:

attachment.php

If you have read any of my posts, you probably know that my son is a Boy Scout in a troop on a local Marine base. This pen is for his current Scoutmaster -- currently on active duty but soon to retire and become a police officer (some people just continue to be heroes!). My original idea was to center the globe on the blank but I'm not super happy with that so next time I'll just center the entire design:

attachment.php

For a good friend that is a network guru by weekday and an Air Force reservist on the weekend I thought this next kit was perfect. The blank was made by segmenting some leftover from a circuit board blank with the leftovers from my friend's Star Trek pen separated with brass strips. This one just about defeated me as the circuit board blank was predrilled and tubed and I had to come up with a good way to attach the rest of the segments. I was cogitating on that one for a while:

attachment.php

And for his wife who has bravely battled cancer for years and refuses to let it get her down, I did a Breast Cancer Awareness kit with a segmented blank (Rhino Northern Lights / brass / solid pink acrylic):

attachment.php

The man that was my son's Scoutmaster up until last year and who has been there since my son was a Tiger Cub Scout gets a magnetic Vertex kit. I really like the stabilized Maple burl blank:

attachment.php

And for his wife who is an emergency room physician's assistant and one of the few female Asst Scoutmasters that I know, I had to do a kit with the Caduceus inlay. When we moved from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts and the outings got more adventurous, my wife's only question was usually, "Is S. going?" If I could answer yes, she felt better. Now, if my wife only knew that S. didn't baby the kids -- there had to be blood involved to get her attention and then she usually just used CA and / or duct tape to patch them up, she may have felt differently! :eek::wink::

attachment.php

I did my first Concava kit for another friend from scouts. I really like this kit and I think the Buckeye burl blank really turned out nicely. It was very easy to turn:

attachment.php

Here's a group shot of all of them (and a few others):

attachment.php

Thank you for putting up with this long winded novel but some of you made the mistake of saying you like the stories behind the pens and, if nothing else, I'm full of stories!! :eek::redface:

I have a few more to finish this week... I sure am having fun and really appreciate all the help that I have gotten on this forum. Thanks much to all!!!
Great job on all. I like the lines on the Nautical. "You have chosen wisely, grasshopper". Seriously each one should be very much appreciated by their recipients.

D.Oliver

Great job. I especially like the circuit board 50 cal. What's the story on the pen on the far left in the group shot?

dthayer

Great job on all. I like the lines on the Nautical. "You have chosen wisely, grasshopper". Seriously each one should be very much appreciated by their recipients.

Thanks!

It's funny, the nautical pen is not really one I did. I had gotten some teak from Mark James that my son liked and when he saw the nautical kit, he just had to have it. I told him no problem but he would have to make it. He had helped me with another kit before but I had done much of the work. On this one he did about 95% of it (he got tired of all the sanding so I did some of that) including the design of the shape.

I'm proud of the way it turned out!

Top Bottom