More airbrushing fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Tried some experiments.

Wanted to make a Maple Leave and Fleur de Lis matching set for my visit to Montreal next week, but learned a good lesson. I did not spray enough shellac over the image and the paint bled when the CA hit it so the Maple Leaf got tinted and the red background faded to pink. Sprayed more shellac on the Fleur de Lis and it's colors did not run.

Tried a rainbow on a Maple burl which I'm pretty happy with

And finally tried a Fall Foliage idea, airbrushed overlapping leaves in a mix of red, yellow, burnt umber and green. I think this concept needs a bit more work. Have some ideas to try out next.

I'm going to have to work on fit, and turn a bit more undersized. My new way of applying CA is building really thick.

Attachments

• Fleur de Lis.jpg
    Fleur de Lis.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 311
  • Rainbow Burl.jpg
    Rainbow Burl.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 302
  • Autumn Leaves 01.jpg
    Autumn Leaves 01.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 280
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Neat effect! I like it.
Are you using a frisket?
How did the shellac work for spraying?

The leaves were all done with frisket. For the single maple leaf, took one of the maple leaves I punched out of the frisket for the Fall Foliage. I've made some frisket Fleur de Lis, but went with a store bought sticker hoping for a crisper profile.

Spraying shellac was easy. I have a dedicated cheap single action airbrush for the shellac. It took me a while to figure out how to dial it in, but now it works great. I just pour in some Zinser blond shellac from a quart can, and I'm set. Now that I have it dialed in, it is better then the rattle can stuff, much more uniform, but builds much slower.

Top Bottom