Mother of Pearl Emperor that Dawn made for the Washington DC Supershow, 2008

Attachments

• Emp 2008show.jpg
    Emp 2008show.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 758
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Very cool! Were the facets milled with the Pen Wizard?

No, it's strips of MOP precision cut, then fit to the tubes. Later (after glue off-gasses) it is cast.

In 2008 we thought this was pretty fancy.
Until we saw several like it (not cast in PR) at the show, from 1930's.

POP!!!! (the sound of bursting our bubble!!)

jttheclockman

Not a big fan of that look. I don't lke the lines. Is there a blank that uses mother of pearl in a resin?? Something on a crushed MOP blank???

ldb2000

Parker was the first to try this style , but they weren't cast at that time . They made several different styles over a period from 1900 to the 1930's . These pens used Mother of Pearl and Paua Abalone and were even made in combinations of both .
Dawn made the first MOP cast in resin that I ever saw and was my inspiration when it came time to try it . This pen is the most stunning pen of this type that I have ever seen . The precision that she obtained is amazing . I have never been able to get close to the tightness of those strips . She is an amazing craftsperson and created an amazing piece of art with this pen .

Tanner

Oh yeah, The MOP put together like that is perfect for an Emperor. I can't imagine how hard it is to cut it and glue it together like that. Dawn must have the patience of a Saint.

JohnU

Ed I love it! Very clean and precise. Similar to the casin look only with more shine and color. Very nice! I don't have to worry about things lining up on my blanks. I have more room to be sloppy. There's no room for error on this one. Great work!

Last edited:

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Having seen this pen in person, I can tell you it's a beauty. Dawn did an outstanding job in preparing the blank and Ed turned it into a gorgeous pen. The facets add depth to the pen.

Russianwolf

Oh yeah, The MOP put together like that is perfect for an Emperor. I can't imagine how hard it is to cut it and glue it together like that. Dawn must have the patience of a Saint.

Not everyone may know this on here, but Dawn is a glass artist also. She has pulled from her experience there to make some stunning pens blanks that Ed gets lucky enough to turn round.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, Mike, at that same show, Dawn "introduced" (to my knowledge) the dichroic glass blanks. We never put them into "the market" because of the difficulties in prepping them to turn.

But we got lots of "oooooohhhhhs and aaaaahhhhhs"

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John,

Dichroic glass is from the Greek "di" meaning two and "chroic" meaning color.

The glass reflects color in different spectra depending on the angle of incidence. In other words, if you look at it from the left, it is one color, say gold, if you see it from the right it is another--say green.

Photographing it is, as far as we can tell, impossible. We sent a couple out to a GREAT photographer who returned them with a note of frustration. I'll look for the pics--I have made several pens and have those in my "traveling portfolio". Some day stop into Racine, we even buy lunch or dinner!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
By the way, were you guys at this years show? I wanted to go but ended up being out of town.

No, we did not go to DC. FOR US, it is too expensive and our return (sales) were minimal. As Alan said a few days ago, these shows are "cumulative". You need to attend for several years to build a following. TO ME, there are not enough people interested in what I do, to keep me entertained. At an "art & craft" show, I can stay busy talking to people all day and sell a few things. At DC and Chicago, time dragged.

YMMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russianwolf

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8605&highlight=dichroic

Here's a Dichroic that Dawn made and sent to Skippy. Kitless pens like this can work since you can plan to keep them larger in diameter than the rods+tube, for kit pens the choices are limited due to the thickness of the material.

Even the level of detail she puts into a snake skin blank is incredible. Try to find the seam on one of her's compared to the ones from Glimmerz, or other places.

Last edited:

glycerine

No, we did not go to DC. FOR US, it is too expensive and our return (sales) were minimal. As Alan said a few days ago, these shows are "cumulative". You need to attend for several years to build a following. TO ME, there are not enough people interested in what I do, to keep me entertained. At an "art & craft" show, I can stay busy talking to people all day and sell a few things. At DC and Chicago, time dragged.

YMMV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. I've been looking forward to attending one. I've lived up here around D.C. for several years now and haven't made it yet. I'd mostly like to meet some of you guys! I've only met one IAP member in person and that's because I went to his house to buy a lathe from him... and gave me a great deal on it too!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The glass reflects color in different spectra depending on the angle of incidence. In other words, if you look at it from the left, it is one color, say gold, if you see it from the right it is another--say green.

Photographing it is, as far as we can tell, impossible. We sent a couple out to a GREAT photographer who returned them with a note of frustration.

A few from the past.

_DSC01131034.jpg

_DSC0536.jpg

_DSC0334.jpg

_DSC0335.jpg

Russianwolf

Sorry to hear that. I've been looking forward to attending one. I've lived up here around D.C. for several years now and haven't made it yet. I'd mostly like to meet some of you guys! I've only met one IAP member in person and that's because I went to his house to buy a lathe from him... and gave me a great deal on it too!

I was able to attend one a couple years ago as a spectator, got to meet Alan Shaw, Mike and Linda (and their daughter), John [Goodturns], Lou, Ed and Dawn, Eagle's Wife and kids, and I may be forgetting someone. Got to have dinner with most of them with Lillian and it was a good time.

Haven't been able to make it back again as yet.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dawn and Eagle shared many ideas--they spoke daily, sometimes several times.

But they had very different "areas of expertise".

Without Dawn, it is unlikely Eagle would have embarked into "Polyresin" land.

wizard

That is a VERY Elegant looking pen ! I can't even imagine the intricate work that went into making it. Beautiful work ! Doc

JohnU

Sounds really cool and interesting.

Some day stop into Racine, we even buy lunch or dinner!!!!

Im hoping one of these days to make that trip and take you up on that. : ). I'll have to ask to see it in person.

Thanks for explaining it. I didn't know what that meant or what to expect but it sounded interesting and I knew it would be something spectacular.

65GTMustang

I like it.....It is an impressive pen!
Funny that this pen popped up when it did.
I have been searching for a Lotus - Imperial and or Emperor Kits for about 3 hours. I know they are no longer made...Sorry to get off the subject but does anyone know where and if some kits are available?
PS
DCBluesman
Those are cool pens - I like the blue the best

Russianwolf

I like it.....It is an impressive pen!
Funny that this pen popped up when it did.
I have been searching for a Lotus - Imperial and or Emperor Kits for about 3 hours. I know they are no longer made...Sorry to get off the subject but does anyone know where and if some kits are available?
PS
DCBluesman
Those are cool pens - I like the blue the best
They are still made, we just don't know of any retailers right now...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom