Moose Antler Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
This one is a Sterling Silver Churchill Rollerball. It is resting on the moose antler the blank came from. Comments welcome, all flavors.

200772951136_Moose%20Antler%20Churchill.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

That's a nice combo Cav. And that antler certainly is white. It's almost invisible against the white back ground- hey... someone finally made an invisa-pen![:)][:)] (If you squint, the antler disappears and you just see the hardware sitting there- I tried it!)

cutterwoodjoe

Hey Cav,
That came out awesome I'm a big fan of antler. Moose is usually more porous, with different colors, did you have to bleach it out or anything

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nice job, Cav.

Since I have never worked with moose antler, I have no idea. Is it porous? Since it is pretty thick, I would expect holes to fill - yes??

Whatever the texture, you did a great job!!!

wdcav1952

Thanks all for the nice comments. BTW, that was a lousy pix! I am having trouble with photo editing since getting a Vista computer. I was really dependant on the XP power toys. [:(] I will try to put up a better pix of it with another Churchill I just finished.

Travis, I found this antler to be marvelous to turn. I used antler from near the tip of one of the tines and found it to be as solid as axis. You can see a small bit of coloring from the marrow in this pen. Overall, there was almost no filling in of porosities.

Joe, this antler was just as turned, no bleaching or anything.

wdcav1952

What, Ed, you asked a question? [;)] Sorry, I am posting between patients so I can go home early and be sick and I skipped you.

In the larger parts of the tines there are significant marrow spaces, but so far I have been able to avoid that part of the antler. Therefore, no fill in needed as yet. I have found this antler to be an absolute joy to turn, giving the same look as axis antler with much less effort during the turning.

Have a nice trip,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom