Moose Antler and Carolina Blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rossvh

rossvh

My son got his PHD in Musicology this weekend at North Carolina in Chapel Hill. I had a piece of moose antler from a friend and fellow turner in Anchorage, Alaska so I segmented the Carolina Blue acrylic on a Navigator RollerBall. Unique for sure. C & C welcomed.

RossVH

Attachments

• Moose Antler & Carolina Blue - David's pen.JPG
    Moose Antler & Carolina Blue - David's pen.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My son got his PHD in Musicology this weekend at North Carolina in Chapel Hill. I had a piece of moose antler from a friend and fellow turner in Anchorage, Alaska so I segmented the Carolina Blue acrylic on a Navigator RollerBall. Unique for sure. C & C welcomed.

RossVH

Yes, unique. But I like it! Very nice. Different types of segments, but they work, and the final pen is very appealing.

bpgoldo

Ross, so tell us how you thought the lay-out would come out, and did the final presentation match your original vision?

magpens

Well done !!! . I love that combination !!! . Moose antler looks different from what I expected. . Very unique pen !!

OZturner

Intriguing Pen, Ross.
I am not Experienced with Moose Antler, nor have I seen many posted here.
Obviously it is not as Spectacular, as Deer Antler, so the Segmenting, does look like it is in a plain wood.
I love the material that you have used for the Segments, they are Very Attractive.
Have you also used some Soda Can Aluminium Inserts, alongside the Carolina Blue Acrylic Segments? or is what I can see a Dark Adhesive Line?
Your Segments are Uniformly Constructed and Placed Centrally in both Blanks, with Excellent Joint Alignment.
The Navigator Roller Ball, was an Ideal Hardware to Compliment these Blanks.
Congratulations, on your Son's Doctorate.
Brian.

Last edited:

rossvh

Ross, so tell us how you thought the lay-out would come out, and did the final presentation match your original vision?
I knew Moose Antler was rather plain - comparatively to deer antler, but I wanted some unique material that wouldn't "fight" the Carolina blue or would allow the acrylic to stand out. The pen turned out as I expected, though I would have preferred a more colorful antler. I guess it boils down to wanting something for my son that I hadn't made for anyone else.

rossvh

Intriguing Pen, Ross.
I am not Experienced with Moose Antler, nor have I seen many posted here.
Obviously it is not as Spectacular, as Deer Antler, so the Segmenting, does look like it is in a plain wood.
I love the material that you have used for the Segments, they are Very Attractive.
Have you also used some Soda Can Aluminium Inserts, alongside the Carolina Blue Acrylic Segments? or is what I can see a Dark Adhesive Line?
Your Segments are Uniformly Constructed and Placed Centrally in both Blanks, with Excellent Joint Alignment.
The Navigator Roller Ball, was an Ideal Hardware to Compliment these Blanks.
Congratulations, on your Son's Doctorate.
Brian.
Brian - thank you for your comments. I did use a thin aluminum between all the segments to set it off, and I too really like the Navigator rollerball look and feel.

I'll admit that moose antler takes some time to stabilize because it is very porous - and frankly, you're turning as much stabilizer as you are antler, but closeup, there is some texture to it that the pic doesn't capture.

I am also thinking that I could turn some darker/more colorful wood and segment some moose antler similar to the acrylic. That could look nice as well.

Too many ideas - not enough shop time!

Top Bottom