Moose Antler Addict

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stoneman

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneman

Here are the first four moose antler pens I've tried. Don't expect a lot as I've just started and have less than ten pens total under my belt. From top to bottom the are:

1. My first one â€" a Sierra with the natural color of the moose antler piece I used.
2. Next came a slimline. The lower barrel is a bit fatter than intended, but I did manage to try an antler stain on this one.
3. Third was another slimline. This one has all natural moose antler color and the pattern was just happenstance, but I like it.
4. The forth is another Sierra, this one using the antler stain again.

I am pretty happy with them for my first few, but please critique and offer any tips or comments so I can learn. These pens contain all kinds of moose antler section, from hard “bone†to very porous “marrowâ€. I am getting a little better at filling in the porous stuff and have painted my tubes white on them to avoid any brass showing through.

20071027193814_AntlerPens1Thru4B.jpg

Tips, advice or comments welcome.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Steve,

You will get LOTS more views if you resize the picture to fit without scrolling left to right.

Just a suggestion.

Four separate pics is ok, too - if you want.

The sierras are beautiful.
I am not fond of the design of the slimlines, but that's only an opinion.

stoneman

I'd actually love to "right size" my photos. It has been bugging me also. How do I do it?

Chris - the stain I use is potassium permanganate (an antler stain used by taxidermists and antler crafters). I also use it to when I make an antler lamp now & then if the antler is faded. It is a powder you mix with water or alcohol. It goes on a sort of purple color and dries quickly to a nice brown (shade of brown depends on the antler underneath and number of coats). You can modify the look with fine steel wool after it dries. Keep it off your fingers - it is a serious stain (I use latex gloves when handling it). Available from Dan Chase https://danchase.3dcartstores.com/RACK-HORN-STAIN_p_465-11280.html

gerryr

Looks like you did a nice job on these. That said, the photo is seriously out of focus. Go the Photography forum and you can find tons of really useful information about photographing your pens. As far as resizing them goes, if you're using Windows XP, go to the Microsoft site and find the Powertoys download and download the picture resizer. If you're using Vista, do a search on PIXresizer. Resize the pictures to no larger than 800 pixels wide.

stoneman

Dave,

Bear in mind that I am a newbie at all this stuff. Probably this is not the best or finest way to go. That said, I turned the pieces to very close to final size. Then I soaked thin CA into any porous areas while turning them slowly by hand. I let this harden a few minutes and turned to final size. Then I sanded 220 - 320 - 400 - 0000 Steel Wool. Applied 2 coats thin CA - 2 coats medium CA - 2 coats thick CA (using accelerator). Lightly sanded with worn out 400 sandpaper, then 0000 steel wool again to remove shine. Finally, applied Renaissance Wax & buffed. Finish appears as a soft satin lustre when done. I have no experience as yet with how it holds up over time.

louisbry

Looks good. You have less than ten pens turned? If you turn anywhere near all of the sheds you displayed in another photo, you will become a pro.

thewishman

Nice work and variety, thanks for the pics and the info. Does moose antler smell as bad as deer antler? I have a friend named Moose and will start looking for some to turn for his birthday.

Chris

stoneman

It might smell worse (plenty bad) cutting & drilling.
I know it sure smells when you pick up sheds in the woods -
and the smell lingers on the antler for quite a while
though the turned and finished pens don't seem to have
a hint of it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom