Monsters Sketch and Cebo?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from el_d

el_d

At the recent IAP CenTex get together I got a Blank from Eugene, a LAVA........Oooooo. :biggrin:

The sketch pencil was bought before I finished turning it and was asked for by two other people as I was finishing it up. I really like this blank and since it was Alumilite turned very easy, Two coats of med CAm reg Polishing routine and "BLING".......:good: very nice Eugene.

This Blue ceboplast was sitting in my drawer for a while waiting for me to muster the intestinal fortitude to attempt the blank. I followed the instructions I found on the site, drilling slow and clearing out flute regularly. Turned with my trusty Woodchuck without a problem and ran thru my polishing routine. Any info on the Cebo would be appreciated, I got it from a trade, but where can I get more and what is it???? Import?

Anyway thanks for looking and any comments welcome. The GOOD, The BAD, and The UGLY..........:cool:.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I don't know anything about Cebo, other than you've made a really nice pen from it. I think though I like the Sketch even better. Nice work Lupe.

Timebandit

Look Great Lupe!!! Love the Ceboplast!!! Unforntunately Ceboplast isnt made any more. It was made by an Italian company that has long since gone out of business. You will not find this material again unless someone has a piece lying around like you did and is willing to sell it. I have a small piece i acquired a while back and am waiting for the right thing to make with it.

bitshird

Lupe how many hours to drill the Cebloplast. I love the stuff. it just is such a bear to drill, probably as bad as Snakewood. but MAN those are sweet. I wish I could find some of the blue and some Ruby. I still have 2 sticks of Serpent, but no hurry to use it.
Both of the pieces are beautiful, I really like that model pencil, I don't care for the one that's two barrels.

el_d

Thanks Alex.

Chuck, trying to keep up with the Beauties your putting out.

I'm bit partial to that sketch too Derek

Thanks for the info Justin. Would you happen to know the name of the company?????

Wish I would have gotten the blanks I saw last time because I don't remember where I saw them for sale at. But it looks like the price of this cebo just went up.....:wink:

el_d

The drill bit got stuck in the blank Ken. I had to manually persuade it to let go of my blank.
After I separated the two I placed a big chunck of mesquite under the tailpiece legs, and since I drill on the lathe, used soap and water to finish the job. The angle helped the water stay in the hole.

Timebandit

Thanks Alex.

Chuck, trying to keep up with the Beauties your putting out.

I'm bit partial to that sketch too Derek

Thanks for the info Justin. Would you happen to know the name of the company?????

Wish I would have gotten the blanks I saw last time because I don't remember where I saw them for sale at. But it looks like the price of this cebo just went up.....:wink:

Lupe i was just reminded that the company that made them didnt go out of business, they just stop making them for the company that was buying them. The company that made them was Mazzucchelli and they made them for the Schaeffer Pen Company. Mazzucchelli now makes frames for high end Glasses:cool:

Bill Sampson

I saw several 1930's Shaeffer fountain pens at the DC pen show last weekend that were made of Ceboplast. Spoke with a gentleman who said he represented Shaeffer. The ceboplast was made by an Italian co in the early 30's specifically for Shaeffer. He did not know of any available rods of this material today.
Fortunately, I purchased several 14 inch rods three years ago and ocassionally turn one into a pen. Don't know what they are worth, but wouldn't sell them now for any price.
Ken, drill slow and cold.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

el_d

Wow Thanks for the follow up Justin. I appreciate it.

Great Information to have Bill. So its from 1930's stock????

Does anyone know what the Ceboplast should be priced at??

mrburls

Nice looking pens Lupe. But the Saphire Cebloplast from Mazzucchelli is my all time favorite resin and sells the best for me.

Keith "mrburls"

wizard

Lupe, They both look great !! I'm partial to the sketch pencil. You made an awesome choice of blank to go with the pencil. I didn't realize the rarity of the ceboplast...but after reading about it...should sell for a lot!! Thanks for showing! Doc

Bill Sampson

Lupe,
There may be an easier way to cool your material when drilling ceboplast. Everyone has their own way, but this works for me.
Set the lathe at the lowest speed
Soak a rag in DNA
Drill about a quarter inch, back out and wrap the bit with the soaked rag. As DNA is naturally cold, it will cool the bit quickly. Continue until blank is drilled through.
Sounds like a recipe, but it works.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Top Bottom