Money on chrome clicker-looking for a fix

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Unfortunately, I cut the blank a millimeter or two too short and the nib just protrudes enough to write when retracted.

Anyone have any idea on fixes for this?

Attachments

• IMG_6560.jpg
    IMG_6560.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 261
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wouldentu2?

If you can take it apart turn a small piece of complimentary material and install at the click end. Something like copper or brass or a left over acrylic piece.

renowb

I can't believe it! I did the same thing last week! I know I trimmed it right. But I measured my tube against the 2nd one and it was slightly shorter. I was wondering if there are some variations in the lengths?

daveeisler

Shorten the ink cartridge, it is not as good of an idea as posted above to add a small piece, but it is very easy to do and you don't risk damage to the pen,

Brooks803

I've done it too and changing the refill length is the only fix I could come up with. I haven't found a way to take it all apart without breaking the click mech. If you cut the whole thing with a bandsaw you can knock it apart, just measure for the length of the click mech.

renowb

The black plastic part is what you guys are talking about? I notice it has these little edges, would you just cut some off?

t001xa22

Stephen, I am assuming that the refill is a Parker. If so, you will notice two tiny staking indentions at the top of the metal canister. They hold the black plastic cap in place. Hold the metal canister, and wriggle the black cap off. Calculate how much distance you need to retract the nib comfortably. Mark that amount on the top of the metal canister, and lightly grind or file that amount away. Deburr the ground area, and push the black cap back on. You won't really need the indentions again, because the spring and the mechanism won't let the cap come off again. The only downside I have ever found is that when you have to replace the refill, you will have to do this all over again.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I've done it too and changing the refill length is the only fix I could come up with.
I haven't found a way to take it all apart without breaking the click mech.
Hi Jonathon; Easy, peasy! I have taken many Long Clicks apart.:)

Step 1. Unscrew the nib and remove.
Step 2. Take a transfer punch somewhat smaller in dia. than the tube.
Step 3. Insert it on an angle to place pressure against the side of the click mechanism.
Step 4. A few blows with a 5 oz. hammer and voila the click tranny is removed!
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32048&cat=1,53193

yorkie

Thanks a lot, guys!

I was able to take apart the refill and was able to shorten it; worked perfectly! of course, when I sell the pen I'm going to do so with a few pre-shortened blanks for future use.

Thanks again for the tips and the feedback.

edicehouse

I didn't read the entire responses, but shortening the ink tube will cause problems for people later, when they have to refil it.

Russianwolf

another option, if its just a small amount needed. is to make a small spacer to got between the blank and the nib. It unscrews nearly 1/8th of an inch before coming off, so there is some room in there.

Manny

I've done it too and changing the refill length is the only fix I could come up with.
I haven't found a way to take it all apart without breaking the click mech.
Hi Jonathon; Easy, peasy! I have taken many Long Clicks apart.:)

Step 1. Unscrew the nib and remove.
Step 2. Take a transfer punch somewhat smaller in dia. than the tube.
Step 3. Insert it on an angle to place pressure against the side of the click mechanism.
Step 4. A few blows with a 5 oz. hammer and voila the click tranny is removed!
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32048&cat=1,53193

This works very well. I do it all the time.

Manny

Top Bottom