Money Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvanite

At least that's how I like to think of it. The pen is quite a bit fatter than I usually like, but that's just how it wanted to come out. The material is shredded money -- very densely packed.

2007123115433_MoneyBurl_750.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Originally posted by fernhills
<br />...did ya get the blank from Eugene...
No, I picked up a bag of shredded money sometime back and have made several money pens and other money items, including a refridgerator magnet, bottle stopper, and goose call. It's a fun material. Regular cast money doesn't have nearly the density of the above pen, and the outcome is more recognizable and less burl-like.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by edstreet
<br />ok so who/where has these blanks?
The pen wasn't made from a cast blank. It is actually a glue-up. I packed shredded money around the brass tube and drizzled it with CA glue. I built up the money, turned it to shape, and finished with more CA. It was pretty easy to do - easier than casting anyway.

Grizz

Banned
I agree with the innovative thought and well executed.

Does saying, "Wow!" in here lose is meaning because that's all my first reaction to so many turners here.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by Mather323
<br />Gotta try it, where can you get the shreaded money?
The most economic price I've come across is directly from the US Treasury Department, Bureau of Printing and Engraving (BEP). They sell a 5-lb bag for $45.00 at http://www.moneyfactory.gov/store/section.cfm/73/435. That's enough to make a LOT of pens. I've barely put a dent in my bag so far.

I haven't tried http://www.oldcash.com/, but they sell smaller quantities of shredded currency as well. The products appear to be different, though. Oldcash.com's shreds are in long strips, while the money I got from the BEP is chopped into little bits.

If you just want to try it out but don't want to buy an entire money bag, let me know. I'll see about packaging a smaller baggie at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom