Monet in Ambrosia Crosscut with Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ghostrider

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

Corian insert looks unsuitable.
Probably black one would be better.
I can understand the sentiment. I initially thought that the look wouldn't go well myself. I even went and bought a different kit because I thought it would clash.

After assembly though, I thought it didn't look bad. In truth the pics are pretty bad. Personally I think they make it look somewhat bland, but it does look much better in person.

I do however appreciate the honesty.

Alejanders

Thanks!

I cannot understand, why every pen here get only positive opinions.

Strange materials combination - nice pen.
Bad fitting - good pen.
Ugly shape - great pen.
Cracks and chips - fine pen.

Do we show off pens just to get useless good comments? Or truth, but unpleasant comment is unethical here?

If I made ugly pen I must know, that my pen is ugly (anyway, some people may like it). Then next pen will better.

If I will make ugly pen and nobody tell me about it, my next pen will be ugly too.

ghostrider

Thanks!

Bad fitting - good pen.
Ugly shape - great pen.

Do we show off pens just to get useless good comments? Or truth, but unpleasant comment is unethical here?

If I made ugly pen I must know, that my pen is ugly (anyway, some people may like it). Then next pen will better.

If I will make ugly pen and nobody tell me about it, my next pen will be ugly too.
I suppose it all depends upon who and how it's done. I took your comments as constructive criticism. They weren't just criticism, but also a suggestion on how to improve.

Your sentiments are why I purposefully posted, "comments welcome". A good rule to go by is, "If advice is sought, then give it. If not, then don't."
Some people don't care to hear the negative. I've learned the best way to avoid on line criticism is to not post on line. I keep trying to improve my diplomacy skills (or lack thereof).

I remember a thread a month or so ago talking about how some people were posting pics of subpar work (my word). As one who had just dons so, I stated that while I knew there were flaws, it was the progress I was proud of (besides the fact that the new owner and his family/friends think it looks great).

When I first decided to go with the white, I did so to see how it might work. After turning it, I wasn't so sure, so I went with a black ti and chrome kit. When that looked terrible, I went back to the gold and black. Due to the poor pic quality (poor clarity, and color) the pen doesn't look right in the pics. However, in person responses have been quite positive. I'll try to get a better pic.

el_d

Crosscut Ambrosia and Corian do not turn the same. As far as the color combo, There is ALWAYS someone who will like it...

bitshird

Thanks!

Bad fitting - good pen.
Ugly shape - great pen.

I tend to agree with you, at one time back when I first started, you asked for a critique and or opinions and you got them once in a while it was as you say "nice pen, good work" blah blah. But a year or so ago, there were a few that got their feeling hurt, and started some crap, and now it's rather hard to get an honest answer, I know if I post a pen which is now a rare occasion, I expect an honest answer.
On some pens I see if the turning looks over or under I'll simply say that it's a nice piece of timber, or what a nice blank, If it's someone I know well I'll tell them the truth. But there are some thin skinned people out here, and you also have to keep in mind, how long this person has been turning and what their skill level is.
I think this pen would have been beautiful had the bottom half been the same as the top half, But that is just an opinion. and I also dislike Corian as a turning medium.
I expect honest answers from people when I do post a pen and ask for opinions, BUT I have to say I am my own worst critic.

ghostrider

Thanks!

Bad fitting - good pen.
Ugly shape - great pen.

I tend to agree with you, at one time back when I first started, you asked for a critique and or opinions and you got them once in a while it was as you say "nice pen, good work" blah blah. But a year or so ago, there were a few that got their feeling hurt, and started some crap, and now it's rather hard to get an honest answer, I know if I post a pen which is now a rare occasion, I expect an honest answer.
On some pens I see if the turning looks over or under I'll simply say that it's a nice piece of timber, or what a nice blank, If it's someone I know well I'll tell them the truth. But there are some thin skinned people out here, and you also have to keep in mind, how long this person has been turning and what their skill level is.
I think this pen would have been beautiful had the bottom half been the same as the top half, But that is just an opinion. and I also dislike Corian as a turning medium.
I expect honest answers from people when I do post a pen and ask for opinions, BUT I have to say I am my own worst critic.
Again I agree. How do we improve if everyone tells us that we are already without need for.

Personally, once I finished the barrel, I thought it was going to look terrible. Now that the pen is assembled I like the way it looks. Just about everyone whose seen it thinks it looks great. One even said he thought it could bring a $100 price tag (and he was the one who said my Austrialian Cypress Monet' was a $50 pen).

Granted, for all I know they could just be patronizing me, but I'm happy with it.

Here's what are hopefully a little better pics. The gold plating makes the difference, and I'm just not capturing it with my pics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ETA:

I also would have preferred the bottom of the barrel mimic the top of the barrel. The blowout prevented that. I considered just scraping it, but I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

At one time we had a forum that was for critiques and that for a very short time worked but as humans some tend to go to far and others tend to take critiques personal. No matter our skill level all of us at times need to take a look at our work through others eyes. Anytime I post in the SOYP I ask for comments, good, bad or otherwise.
And being you asked I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of corian, especially mixed with wood. In my eyes the barrel is too short to have the two products mixed giving the finished pen a stubby appearance. The fit and finish look good and as someone said someone will really like it.

ghostrider

At one time we had a forum that was for critiques and that for a very short time worked but as humans some tend to go to far and others tend to take critiques personal. No matter our skill level all of us at times need to take a look at our work through others eyes. Anytime I post in the SOYP I ask for comments, good, bad or otherwise.
And being you asked I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of corian, especially mixed with wood. In my eyes the barrel is too short to have the two products mixed giving the finished pen a stubby appearance. The fit and finish look good and as someone said someone will really like it.
Thanks. I too would have preferred just wood without the corian. I suppose I could have just tossed the remnants of what was left after the blowout. Then I figured that I could do that after I saw what it looked like.

Personally I'm a traditional type who thinks materials should be matched with like materials. Wood with wood, synthetic with synthetic, etc... So I can understand the criticism. For some reason I just went with this as an experiment. And for some other unexplainable reason, I think it looks interesting. Not sure If I'll keep it since I still have more stabilized Ambrosia, and even a little more that has yet to be stabilized.

I enjoying the civil discourse about this. I agree with what you say and am always one to seek other people's opinion because I understand that they may see something I do not.

BTW, the pen kits arrived. Thanks.

JAZNCARR

the pen kit is too short to be half and half.. and its more like 75/25 the finish and the spalt are nice but the balance is way off and that to me seems to be the problem.. If you had a longer kit like a cigar and had the tips in Corian and the center in the wood it may have worked alittle better... I love the Idea of getting Corian inlays and etc( I am a little Biased on the Solid surface acrylics.... but it just doesn't seem to please the eyes

Top Bottom