Molten Metal Inlace Acrylester Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wudwrkr

Status
Not open for further replies.

wudwrkr

Here's my first non wood Gentlemen's pen. This is the Molten Metal Inlace Acrylester from Woodturningz.com.

2006122144323_IMG_2852.jpg

2006122144337_IMG_2857.jpg

It is definitely a different look. What do you think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Divnbrian

Good looking pen! I like you choice of kit too.
I have turned 3 of the Molten metal blanks for gifts this Christmas. I let my friends pick out their own pens and those three were some of the first ones to go!

wudwrkr

Thanks guys. I really like the way the inlace acrylester turns out, but I actually hate turning it. It is so much more brittle than the other acrylics I do.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by wudwrkr
<br />Thanks guys. I really like the way the inlace acrylester turns out, but I actually hate turning it. It is so much more brittle than the other acrylics I do.

Just lay down on this couch and let's talk about the "Risk-Reward" equation..............

wudwrkr

Ed,
Your right. I continue to turn these because of the "reward". I am all smiles after its done [:D], but during the process it is a bit different [:(!].

Thanks Dr. Ed!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am very well versed in that equation, having started using Inlace polyester years ago and coming upstairs, stating loudly,

"I HATE THIS STUFF"

Then, I took the pens to the show and they all sold for pretty good bucks, leading me to come home and say,

"I LOVE???? THIS STUFF"

Duly conflicted, I continue to turn and sell it (but sales HAVE diminished).[;)][;)][;)]

rapost

The pen's a beaut!

Makes me want to turn the pieces of "Molten Metal" I have.....but I'm turning my first Inlace and gogin through the love/hate relationship.....I'm glad it's not just me.

I've been getting little pits as I get down to final size....what to do? what to do?

Oh well...enough if my issues for now!

[:p]

wudwrkr

Rick,
It's those pits that I hate. I seem to get a great curl comin' off the blank and then bam! it starts to shear and little tiny pieces of acrylester go all over the place. I have found that the oft repeated "sharp tools, light cuts" does help, especially when I get down close to the bushings.

One word description..... WOW!

Know what you mean Vern .. I used to have nothing but chips comming off mine until I learned I was using the wrong tool... the skew works great on these, but you have to watch the angle of the cut, and as you said, "the oft repeated "sharp tools, light cuts""

Beautiful pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom